Hill Street Police Raid

When Skies Are Grey

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the link at least gives some clarity to the previous "Binbags full of cash" stories that have surrounded the case. Bear in mind the cross jurisdictional issue here will add to the delays in bringing this to court, and provides ample opportunity for delays for those within the legal profession (not to mention the opportunity to earn some very serious money).

The wording on the UK court case still indicates the amount of VAT involved is £21m. If the "In the know because I am a KYC Compliance Officer Insider" type above is actually correct, the legal fees on both sides of this will start heading close to that the longer it drags on.

As with a lot of corporate entities, the treasury might look for a settlement which limits criminal liability in exchange for payment. HMRC has not shown over the last 10 years the stomach for a prolonged court battle, and has been heading down a very US route where fines are paid and wrongdoing is not admitted. Not sure they can approach from that angle though given the nature of the offences he's been charged with.

Still, as long as we have super-KYC-Compliance-officer-man to keep us up to speed, we should all know whats happening every step of the way.

Have there been any charges?

Thats an interesting point on this.

I can find no reference to an actual charge being laid within the UK. I suspect that with something of this scale, they are going to ensure that every I is dotted and every T is crossed before formally charging Mr Bell.

This makes his defence above even more curious, as he indicates there is an upcoming UK criminal trial as part of his defence, yet there are no dates listed and his wording suggests the case has a specific timescale.

Could he yet weedle his way out of this situation by agreeing to repay outstanding funds and a fine? Everything thus far indicates he has been arrested and released on bail. I have to wonder though, what jurisdiction will any case take place in, as the IOM FCU stated Mr Bell is "part of an active criminal investigation" , and this appears to run across 3 jurisdictions (IOM/UK/Guernsey).

I guess this will go quiet again for a while now that the appeal has been dismissed and the forfeiture hearing is to be held at a yet-to-be-announced date. The question would be though, as forfeiture is a civil matter, can it be obtained prior to a criminal conviction? Can the courts seize the assets even if a future trial were to find him innocent? Would he then be required to apply to the court for the return of these assets as no criminal conduct was proved? Its a very strange case indeed.

a KYC compliance officer for a large financial institution who is a close relative of mine informs me that PB's case will run for years,so sit back and be patient.

It has been stated that only three police officers on this case will be still serving by the time that it reaches a conclusion.

Where has it been stated?

To me and several friends by a police officer.

Could he yet weedle his way out of this situation by agreeing to repay outstanding funds and a fine? Everything thus far indicates he has been arrested and released on bail. I have to wonder though, what jurisdiction will any case take place in, as the IOM FCU stated Mr Bell is "part of an active criminal investigation" , and this appears to run across 3 jurisdictions (IOM/UK/Guernsey).

I guess this will go quiet again for a while now that the appeal has been dismissed and the forfeiture hearing is to be held at a yet-to-be-announced date. The question would be though, as forfeiture is a civil matter, can it be obtained prior to a criminal conviction? Can the courts seize the assets even if a future trial were to find him innocent? Would he then be required to apply to the court for the return of these assets as no criminal conduct was proved? Its a very strange case indeed.

It looks odder than that. You have to assume that he doesn't need the half a million quid and so this action seems to be trying to set some sort of precedent by trying to get the court to return it so that they can then maybe claim in any UK action that the Manx court clearly didn't think they were guilty of anything as it overruled the POCA seizure.

a KYC compliance officer for a large financial institution who is a close relative of mine informs me that PB's case will run for years,so sit back and be patient.

It has been stated that only three police officers on this case will be still serving by the time that it reaches a conclusion.

Where has it been stated?

To me and several friends by a police officer.

ah, I see

• 1 year later...

Archived