Dogs now allowed in pubs

Zammo Maguire

I was in my busy local, one sunday lunchtime, in Battersea some years ago, with my dog, Oscar, a Kelpie. Two others in there also had their dogs, both Staffies. All was going well till one of the Staffies took an interest in Oscar. A little playful interaction betwen the two had a bad effect on the other Staffie, which launched itself at his mate and Oscar. I managed to drag old Osc out of the melee but the two Staffies kicked-off, hell for leather. Both owners, and four other people were bitten in their attempts to separate the dogs, blood flew, a couple of tables went over, the clientele, some of whom had kids with them, made for the nearest exit post-haste. It took all of 3mins to ruin everyone's day.

Hopefully this kind of thing wouldn't happen and has been taken into consideration.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be proven wrong, but personally I expect places that select to allow dogs to lose more custom than they gain. I realise it is not exactly a scientific analysis of peoples feeling, but comments on the local new sites Facebook pages so far seem to be more people saying they don't like the idea than those who do.

I don't mind dogs as it goes, but wouldn't go to eat where they are allowed because irresponsible dog owners have led to my son not wanting to be anywhere that dogs are.

I may be proven wrong, but personally I expect places that select to allow dogs to lose more custom than they gain. I realise it is not exactly a scientific analysis of peoples feeling, but comments on the local new sites Facebook pages so far seem to be more people saying they don't like the idea than those who do.

I don't mind dogs as it goes, but wouldn't go to eat where they are allowed because irresponsible dog owners have led to my son not wanting to be anywhere that dogs are.

Naysayers are always louder than supporters.

Great news, hope some of the local pubs take this up. The owners of badly behaved, noisy dogs who ruin other customers enjoyment should, of course, be asked to leave and take their dog with them. As should the parents of badly behaved, noisy children who ruin other customers enjoyment........

Woo(f) hoo!

Personally, I have a somewhat mixed response to dogs. I really like some but other dogs I don't like. That being said, I see no reason why a dog which is well mannered shouldn't be allowed in a pub or a restaurant. It wouldn't put me off my food. There are a lot of human beings out there who would put me off eating a lot more than a dog would. Still, nowhere does this say a pub or restaurant must allow them - it says they're now free to allow them if they so choose. I think most normal people would only take a dog out eating with them if it was well-behaved anyway. Perhaps similarly to a list of people banned from pubs, you could have a list of dogs or dog owners banned from them. What is the law on cats?

It took all of 3mins to ruin everyone's day.

Perhaps if they had been kept on leads and tied to a secure table?

Perhaps. The landlord obviously banned all dogs after that, even in the beer garden out back. My dog was on his lead and the fight kicked-off at my feet. It also cost close to a couple of hundred quid in vets bills for out-of-hours stitches and medication. And the beloved hound being miserable for a few days....

GD4. Come home!

Myself & the hound will make a return to enjoy the comfort of my favourite watering holes such as the Golf Links, Grand Island, Derbyhaven Hotel and the like.

Oh happy days...

Great news, hope some of the local pubs take this up. The owners of badly behaved, noisy dogs who ruin other customers enjoyment should, of course, be asked to leave and take their dog with them. As should the parents of badly behaved, noisy children who ruin other customers enjoyment........

I've never experienced an issue with dogs in an eatery. Bloody feral children running riot's another matter.

Dog wee on pub floors, and tails getting stood on,
Essence of wet dog, and shoes getting poop on,
Hair in my beer, and a dog fart that mings,
These are a few of my unfavourite things

Fights under tables, ears and blood flying,
Growling at people, and kids bitten crying,
Shagging each other, and my leg in spring,
These are a few of my unfavourite things

Archived