Inflation down to -1.5%

Jam_Sandwich

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. they make this stuff up.

Taxed a car last month, paid more. Filled it up, paid more. insured it, paid more. Had a burger, paid more. Bought some work shirts, paid more. Got the 'leccy bill, paid more.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. they make this stuff up.

Taxed a car last month, paid more. Filled it up, paid more. insured it, paid more. Had a burger, paid more. Bought some work shirts, paid more. Got the 'leccy bill, paid more.

You didn't pay more to fill up than you did this time last year!

• 5 months later...

............in view of today's discussion about whether we are in negative inflation or not in Manx News.

I started to wonder what today's goods and services prices are compared to say five years ago and say ten years ago. As I understand it inflation figures only compare the current year with the previous year?

It's an index, so once you know the opening and closing values, you can calculate the rate for any time period.

CPI (the generally accepted more "accurate" one) has only been available since 2008, so 7 years is the max for that.

CPI

So Dec 2015 = 119.5

Dec 2014 = 121.4

119.5/121.4 = 0.984 - 1 = -0.0156 = -1.56%, to tie in with the headline number.

They don't give the historic numbers for CPI in the monthly document, so I can't work out the 5 and 10 year CPI numbers, but for RPI

2015 168.2

2014 164.4

2010 145.8

2005 121.4

5 years RPI

168.2/145.8 = 1.1536 = 15% over the 5 years or 1.1536^(1/5)-1 = 2.9% per annum

10 years RPI

168.2/121.4 = 1.386 = 39% over 10 years or 3.3% per annum.

Link to document here.

Thanks BB................I still wonder whether most folk realise the rather large percentage rise over the years................or if they even care.

We used to use the Mars bar index...............what it cost when we were kids and then year by year until about ten years ago when we got so fed up with the rising costs..

As you can see I do not believe in financial growth just sustainability. As far as I can see, growth is principally to benefit folks who already have loads..........I have heard most of the arguments and still have heard nothing that might alter my attitude.flowers.gif

First post..ducks behind wall in anticipation....Well generally food seems lower and fuel from a year ago for vehicles is certainly and air travel if booked in good time, not sure if that is included in assessments , is a bargain. Electric and Gas are not cheaper and rates are yet to show in these figures I would guess so there's a downside.. These could be a fair reflection of where we are...Have people as much money in there pockets . I would say no because of other factors, overtime cuts ,less work around etc...can I come out from behind the wall now ??

...........thanks again BB. It certainly looks as though it's levelled out a bit which I suppose could be classed as partial sustainability.

I guess I've got about ten years of life left so it's purely interest to ask these questions. I did of course live through the massive inflation decades ago.

Archived