Inflation down to -1.5%

Jam_Sandwich

10 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Isn't it the case that the rise in food prices is just outstripped by other falling components of the data set?

Obviously. But you can't eat heating oil, petrol or diesel. So the numbers are largely bollox, as x-in-man pointed out five years ago when it last happened.

Our No1 daughter said 2 weeks ago, unprompted, that she is now paying significantly more for their weekly shop, but I put that down to her spending habits! Seems I might be doing her an injustice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been significant rises in prices in my local Shoprite over the lockdown period. At the time I put this down to supply and demand with reduced production output? Stuff like Heinz tinned goods went up 30%+. And a lot of frozen goods. Loo rolls too, for some strange reason (Rog). It doesn't seem to have come down yet but time will tell.

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There have been significant rises in prices in my local Shoprite over the lockdown period. At the time I put this down to supply and demand with reduced production output? Stuff like Heinz tinned goods went up 30%+. And a lot of frozen goods. Loo rolls too, for some strange reason (Rog). It doesn't seem to have come down yet but time will tell.

It's not just confined to Shoprite, Tesco too have increased their prices... I know this because No1 daughter does her shopping only at Tesco. Most of ours is done at Shoprite (more for convenience than anything else).

38 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Shoprite price rises have been complicated by the switch to Sainsbury from Iceland/Waitrose.  Technically this happened January but the gradual using up of old stock meant that the new stuff wasn't all there till March, just as lockdown started to happen.  The Sainsbury stuff (or at least what Shoprite charge for it) seems more expensive than Iceland's was.  Sometimes by quite a lot.

Tesco is also complicated by pre-Covid policy as they seem to have been trying to reduce the availability of their budget ranges and gradually raise prices on standard lines before the virus hit.  One oddity I have noticed is that they seem to have dropped their Manx premium - the extra 5% or so they charged in the Douglas store over what you would pay in the UK on a lot of items in standard and budget ranges.

We really haven't noticed this at all, and I am surprised by Andy's findings, as a lot of fresh produce has come down considerably since the lockdown. For example, bananas down from 84p kg (which they had been for ages) to 73p in Tesco. Punnets of nectarines, plums etc, on offer for 45p etc. Carrots, spuds, various veg, lettuce, cucumber, all considerably cheaper. A few canned items are up, but some are also down. It's true that some larger sizes have had production suspended, so you have to buy the smaller sizes. Also, the majority of the multibuy offers seem to have disappeared so things like this will be having an adverse effect. I have been frequenting the stores more than I normally would over the period to protect Mrs W who has a chest condition, so I have been taking more notice than usual. I decided very early on that Shoprite were taking the proverbial, so I haven't been back there very much.

I suppose we are lucky that on average, we spend such a vanishingly small percentage of our income on food nowadays, so it doesn't register as a such a big deal as it used to.

3 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The prices are highly unlikely to remain at the already increased current prices Woolley

Which tinned items have you seen go down in price?

Over the past few months, Donald, I've seen offers on tinned beans and peas, fish, (beer even!). I think canned meat might be up a fraction, but I'm not really a fan. Cereals are about the same. Tea and coffee the same. Some biscuits have gone up, but only to their previous level having been reduced for several months. Fresh meat seems to have same multibuys as before. What have you seen increasing, and where do you shop? I do normally like to support local traders, but I have to say that Shoprite is way, way above Tesco at the moment on most things.

Those percentages on that Brexit list are just for scaring the horses. Never be anything like that.

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The potential post #Brexit food price rises will really depend on how hard the EU producers try to keep delivering to the UK

About the only thing that will affect prices for products ex EU will be additional costs to employ more customs brokers to process the documentation. There is a massive shortage of customs brokers in UK.

Archived