Premiership 2015/16

ans

It's not shit, it is the unvarnished truth.

I should, perhaps, have been more specific by qualifying the reference to "no matter who they sign" - as I really only meant it to refer to players that would actually sign for Manchester United. If Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez tired of their bigger clubs and became the Man U front line then I suspect they might actually win it. This, however, is no more realistic a scenario than The Flash, Superman and Billy the Fish playing for them: if you restrict the statement to people who would actually be prepared to play for them, they they have absolutely no chance.

I hope that clears thing up for you.

Spoken like a truely deluded bitter and irrational Liverpile fan.

Your statement was shit. Glad you admitted it.

As for United, they are the biggest club in world football. Everyone knows that. Sure, they face the challenge that all english clubs do in that the UK isn't the most attractive place to ply your trade. In addition we are seeing a diminishing appetite from footballers in terms of aspiring to play for a truely great club like United. They'd rather play for Rubin Kazan if the money is on offer.

United COULD win the league this year. They are probably a couple of players short at the moment but it wouldn't be impossible to recruit those players. They certainly have depth in the squad.

You shouldn't forget too that they are in process of rebuilding one of the most successful domestic squads ever (5 leagues in 7 seasons and could have been 7, a CL win and two other finals) and these things take a bit of time. They are also competing against unlimited budgets of the oil rich playthings so it isn't easy. (a bigger issue for the likes of Liverpool who are now reduced to signing second tier players and losing their best players every season).

To write them off just stinks of bitterness (and being clueless).

>As for United, they are the biggest club in world football. Everyone knows that.

Apart from di Maria it seems. 5 minutes was enough for him to realise the error of his ways.

United are no longer one of the clubs that the very best players want to play for.

Perhaps it was the cache of Sir Alex, or Sir Bobby, the history, the Busby Babes or whatever.

God only knows what posessed them to try Moyes for a 6 year contract handful of games and around £75 million on players...but whatever they had, has gone.

And losing de Gea will cost them at least 10 league points this year over last.

TBT.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Di Maria was simply spineless although I had a theory last year that United had an awful lot of money available and knew that even if Di Maria didn't work out they could move him on and help fund this summers spending (given that they would be £35m down from the CL ommission etc).

United have rarely sought out or looked to attract "the very best players" and always took pride in developing young talent. Of course there have been the odd marque signing in there (which rarely work out) and that hasn't changed.

And in the wider picture it isn't that the "very best players" don't want to play for United. The position hasn't changed much - there are very few top class players choosing to come to the UK at all. The only exceptions to that generally have been where the likes of City have made such ridiculous financial offers that an Aguero will come because the offer is simply too good to turn down.

I disagree about losing De Gea. Firstly I think he'll stay. United don't need the money, he's on relative buttons, and Real Madrid have been told to pay up or fuck off. I think they'll do the latter.

Also, United are and will be MUCH tighter defensively this year and the reliance on De Gea not so great. They finally have a right back (who looks very good) which in turn means Smalling can concentrate on his job rather than covering Valencia (who is never a full back).

It would not surprise me to see United as the best defensive unit this season.

Di Maria was simply spineless although I had a theory last year that United had an awful lot of money available and knew that even if Di Maria didn't work out they could move him on and help fund this summers spending (given that they would be £35m down from the CL ommission etc).

United have rarely sought out or looked to attract "the very best players" and always took pride in developing young talent. Of course there have been the odd marque signing in there (which rarely work out) and that hasn't changed.

And in the wider picture it isn't that the "very best players" don't want to play for United. The position hasn't changed much - there are very few top class players choosing to come to the UK at all. The only exceptions to that generally have been where the likes of City have made such ridiculous financial offers that an Aguero will come because the offer is simply too good to turn down.

I disagree about losing De Gea. Firstly I think he'll stay. United don't need the money, he's on relative buttons, and Real Madrid have been told to pay up or fuck off. I think they'll do the latter.

Also, United are and will be MUCH tighter defensively this year and the reliance on De Gea not so great. They finally have a right back (who looks very good) which in turn means Smalling can concentrate on his job rather than covering Valencia (who is never a full back).

It would not surprise me to see United as the best defensive unit this season.

De Gea is worth around £20-30M, but is in the final year of his contract. So he's worthless next year to MU.

He won't go in Jan'16 as he'll be able to command a higher salary if his future club don't have to pay the current £20-30M premium.

MU might not need the cash, but it's a business and businessmen like money, so they'll want to cash in now.

DG's only on around 4x national salary...every week. So you can see the demotivating factors influencing his desire to break contract and head to Spain.

And as he's currently one of the best players around, so who can MU replace him with?

Yashin (deceased), Neville Southall (retired), Trevor Carson (currently under 'watertight' contract at Hartlepool), Simon Mignolet (Only kidding, I just threw him in for a laugh thumbsup.gif ).

Certainly, it's not the MU when SAF was in command.

>It would not surprise me to see United as the best defensive unit this season.

Not without an in-form DG it won't. He saved the defence a dozen or so points last season.

TBT.

• 2 weeks later...

What's gone on at Utd this deadline period?

Well it all started so well with the signings of Darmian, DePay, Schneiderlin, and Schweinsteiger being completed early. Since then it has been an absolute joke!

Apparently Van Gaal has now fallen out with Marcus Rojo as well.

The De Gea situation should have been resolved long ago by either telling Madrid to sod off or by agreeing to a fee so that a replacement of quality could be signed. Romero looks iffy, Valdez remains at the club but out of favour and Lindegaard has just signed for West Brom.

The signing of Martial is interesting but looks very expensive for a relatively unproven striker. I am not to concerned about the sale of Hernandez but I don't think having three strikers in Rooney, Martial and Wilson is sufficient for a title challenge.

It looks like there was a plan at the start of the window but then the rest has just been made up as they have gone along!

Well it all started so well with the signings of Darmian, DePay, Schneiderlin, and Schweinsteiger being completed early. Since then it has been an absolute joke!

The De Gea situation should have been resolved long ago by either telling Madrid to sod off or by agreeing to a fee so that a replacement of quality could be signed. Romero looks iffy, Valdez remains at the club but out of favour and Lindegaard has just signed for West Brom.

The signing of Martial is interesting but looks very expensive for a relatively unproven striker. I am not to concerned about the sale of Hernandez but I don't think having three strikers in Rooney, Martial and Wilson is sufficient for a title challenge.

It looks like there was a plan at the start of the window but then the rest has just been made up as they have gone along!

Their business has in general been good. The players bought have been what was needed. The players sold or moved on were not good enough.

The only player they want to keep is De gea. Which weirdly looks like it'll now happen. It is better for United that he stays and goes for free in twelve months. I agree that Madrid should have been told to conclude the deal by 01st August or forget it. That bit hasn't been handled well.

And I do think they have made genuine attempts at Bale and Mueller amongst other top class players but it is hard to get them to move at this moment.

Having said that you never know what might happen today.

Sounds like Real trolled Utd by forgetting to submit their paperwork in time.

Navas allegedly ringing Utd to see if 'their' deal was still on, despite DeGea staying put, was a real rib tickler.

The boy Deulefeu (Barcelona reserves to Everton at £5millionish) looks a reasonable gamble. Countered by the purchase of Lennon, who looks underwhelming at sub £5M.

And surprise of the transfer period must be Balotelli, who'd of thought The Reds could of offloaded him with his goalscoring record?

I know, I know the Kopites are still paying 1/2 his wages to play for another club...but really, he was worse than Andy Carroll.

And the 1st PL manager to be sacked?

Mourinho to diss Abramovich and receive his cards again, stranger things have happened...

TBT.

Their business has in general been good. The players bought have been what was needed. The players sold or moved on were not good enough.

The only player they want to keep is De gea. Which weirdly looks like it'll now happen. It is better for United that he stays and goes for free in twelve months. I agree that Madrid should have been told to conclude the deal by 01st August or forget it. That bit hasn't been handled well.

And I do think they have made genuine attempts at Bale and Mueller amongst other top class players but it is hard to get them to move at this moment.

Having said that you never know what might happen today.

>It is better for United that he stays and goes for free in twelve months.

Some truth there. They'll lose £30+M transfer fees, but he's on £60k/week and was offered £200k. So they'll save on that aspect.

But he'll (if motivated) earn UTD 10 league points easily.

Possibly winning CL status as a result (a £30+M windfall) and extra PL prize/tv money as a result.

TBT.

De Gea wants to return to Spain. He is already at the world's biggest club and joining that circus won't be a great move. If it was down to club size and financial package he would be staying ans signed up by now.

He may sign a new contract with a release clause. Club and player win then. And Barca may be interested next summer when they have no issues signing players. Much better move for him.

I admire Bale for making the move abroad. He's a better player for it.

Martial would appear to have been on a lot of clubs radars. It has cost a bit but United always invested in young talent rather than finished articles all the time so it's great to get him. As with most foreign purchases it'll be his mentality than decides if he makes it at United. Not his talent which I don't think is in question.

LOL, you are deluded son. There is no one (other than deluded Man U supporters) who thinks that Man U is bigger than Real Madrid. They had won more European Cups by 1960 than Man U ever will.

Bale is staying because he is at a bigger, and better, club

Archived