Premiership 2015/16

ans

That's a pretty big if given our recent lacklustre form. I can see Liverpool stamping all over us.

Sherwood is useless and he's being found out big time now. Quite possibly the worst manager with a job in the entire English football league.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a funny old league at the moment. I'd have had Liverpool beating Norwich but they struggled. They caused very little real trouble to Carlisle. So i think if Villa can keep their shape and play on the counter they could cause problems. The one thing they need to avoid is falling behind to an early goal.

And Gestede, if he plays, is a threat from set pieces and their defence is crap so there will be chances there.

A three time EC winner is a once in a generation phenomenon. Paisley was the single greatest manager of his generation, and probably ever. Ancelotti is this generation's greatest. You only win it three times by being the best

I don't think anyone would dispute Paisley was a great manager.

But you are talking about different era's when it was easy to win it. Bayern Munich and Ajax won it in 3 consecutive years each in the 70's. Much easier to dominate once you had a decent side because there was a lack of competition. You could argue the Uefa Cup was harder to win at one point because you had 3 or 4 teams from each league in it.

And Paisley potentially wins nothing without Shankley putting in place what he did. Plus he had what amounted to one team. Not rebuilding teams over era's and even generations.

You could also parallel it to Real Madrid in the 50's. They won the first 5 competitions. But when you take into account the numbers, quality etc (England didn't even play in it to begin with) then it is hard to draw a parallel to winning it today.

Great management and managers is debatable. One thing that probably isn't is the standard of the competition today versus that of 30 years ago. Nottingham Forest did what amounts to coming from Championship (2nd Tier) mediocrity to European Champions in 2 years. Simply not possible today.

I can understand why you might be desperate to try to diminish the achievements of the only manager other than Ancellotti to win three, but the stats speak for themselves. If it had been that easy to win three back in the day, there would have been others. Instead, nobody, even those with huge financial resources and bags of time, managed it. That was because none of them were good enough

It's a funny old league at the moment. I'd have had Liverpool beating Norwich but they struggled. They caused very little real trouble to Carlisle. So i think if Villa can keep their shape and play on the counter they could cause problems. The one thing they need to avoid is falling behind to an early goal.

And Gestede, if he plays, is a threat from set pieces and their defence is crap so there will be chances there.

>They caused very little real trouble to Carlisle.

Hmmm...the Carlisle supporters had to cope with a barrage of wayward shots though.

Of The Reds 58 shots, only 16 on target.

One particularly inaccurate shot - from I believe, 'The Welsh Xavi' (remember him?), clipped the crossbar at Goodison!

Klopp seems to be the bookies favourite with Ancelotti in the mix. Moyes as a very long shot...

The job needs an inspirational manager who has Euro experience, can recruit (& retain!) good quality and get the team spirit back.

But what say this 'poisoned chalice' ends up with Big Sam?

TBT.

It isn't am attractive job. I would be surprised to see klopp lower himself. Especially when he could get offers from teams that can challenge for leagues and champions leagues. Liverpool can't do that. Rodgers is about the level. He's just a vain annoying pick who thinks he is better than he is.

It isn't am attractive job. I would be surprised to see klopp lower himself. Especially when he could get offers from teams that can challenge for leagues and champions leagues. Liverpool can't do that. Rodgers is about the level. He's just a vain annoying pick who thinks he is better than he is.

He is that. He's also become the bookies favourite and front-runner in the great Sack race.

If he goes who'd step in ..?

And despite its supposed irrelevance, certain supporters obsess more about Liverpool than their own clubs.

To be fair, when I was growing up in the 80s, Man Utd were an irrelevance largely but Liverpool fans wasted no opportunity to mock them. What goes around....

Archived