Being sacked for having cancer?

Rhumsaa

I see the headline news in the paper is this story about a health worker who is facing disciplinary hearings following a battle with cancer.

Just from reading the online article it appears to be a more complex issue than the headline suggests. It just strikes me as being a strange way of going about things running to the papers midway through a disciplinary hearing? Seems potentially counter productive?

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the headline news in the paper is this story about a health worker who is facing disciplinary hearings following a battle with cancer.

Just from reading the online article it appears to be a more complex issue than the headline suggests. It just strikes me as being a strange way of going about things running to the papers midway through a disciplinary hearing? Seems potentially counter productive?

Quite clearly there is more to it than having cancer.

There is no way from a legal stand point you would be able to dismiss someone who has undergone an operation of that extent.

I'm inclined to think there is much more to it.

I also do not understand the point about going public.

When she contacted the manager, he texted her to say: ‘You are not doing it. Conversation over. We talked about this and you cannot do on-call if you cannot do routine work.

‘We will talk on my return. Do not turn in tomorrow.’

A further text, seen by iomtoday, read: ‘Do not turn into work tomorrow...final warning.’

Miss Inglis said from her home in Douglas: ‘What a way to be told not to do your job after being told you would be sacked if you failed to be 100 per cent by the end of December – in a text message only two months after having a hysterectomy to remove cancer cells.’

She nevertheless went into work on that Saturday only for hospital manager Barbara Scott to tell her to leave and hand over her access card.

When she refused, Ms Scott warned she would have no choice but to suspend her.

Miss Inglis said: ‘My future is looking bleak. I may still have cancer cells that can progress and my employer is trying to sack me due to my having cancer.’

To me it looks like she's being sacked for repeatedly ignoring her manager. But I'm not an employment lawyer.

This is just trying to get your version out there first to influence public perception of what's to come out of the hearing tomorrow.

Reading the article, it just looks like she was told to do things and refused, like not turning up to work. Not really sure what else you're supposed to do with an employee who doesn't follow management instruction, no matter how poorly worded it was.

Although the public are generally idiots and will probably make things worse.

That made me LOL.

I agree with you all. There are two sides to every story and we're only hearing one and one which buttboy has "sexed up" a bit too. the report also mentions allegations of bullying in the workplace too and it also refers to an independent review which criticised management. It sounds as if its a right old nasty place to work.

"A confidential report seen by iomtoday shows that Miss Inglis has lodged a series of complaints against a number of her colleagues, alleging bullying, harassment and victimisation. None of those complaints, which were made between 2012 and 2015, have been upheld.

But the report concludes that while there is no evidence to substantiate the allegations, ‘it is clear that the culture and style of management and leadership in the biochemistry department requires urgent attention’."

SO, not a confidential report then.

Clearly the latest thing is an excuse to get rid by the look of it?

"A confidential report seen by iomtoday shows that Miss Inglis has lodged a series of complaints against a number of her colleagues, alleging bullying, harassment and victimisation. None of those complaints, which were made between 2012 and 2015, have been upheld.

But the report concludes that while there is no evidence to substantiate the allegations, ‘it is clear that the culture and style of management and leadership in the biochemistry department requires urgent attention’."

SO, not a confidential report then.

Clearly the latest thing is an excuse to get rid by the look of it?

Possibly, though it wouldn't surprise me if she broke some sort of policy. I wouldn't imagine the hospital's insurers would be super happy with her carrying out work that she's not yet fit to do.

I'm also reliably informed by a friend who worked for a health service elsewhere (not NHS) that their company policy was that staff who aren't doing full time work can't be on call.

It seems logical. No doubt being on "call" earns extra remuneration and there is no way someone should be on call when they cannot be in work full time as it is.

That seems common sense to me.

Plus, you wouldn't want to be taking weekend and bank holiday work from the better paid staff who always allocate that to themselves. I know someone working at one of the hospitals on the IOM and she told me you can write down 12 months in advance who will be "working" on those days so they get double time etc.

It seems logical. No doubt being on "call" earns extra remuneration and there is no way someone should be on call when they cannot be in work full time as it is.

Plus, you wouldn't want to be taking weekend and bank holiday work from the better paid staff who always allocate that to themselves. I know someone working at one of the hospitals on the IOM and she told me you can write down 12 months in advance who will be "working" on those days so they get double time etc.

Is there "double time"rate In our hospitals ?

There is certainly an enhancement for working certain times. I think it is weekends and bank holidays.

And that is from my mummy. She has no reason to lie about it.thumbsup.gif

There is certainly an enhancement for working certain times. I think it is weekends and bank holidays.

And that is from my mummy. She has no reason to lie about it.:thumbsup:

I think it's something like X1.6 or similar.

I think it's something like X1.6 or similar.

Wow...you get a Jag for working a Saturday?

it's where the phrase "Jag-Off" comes from. People making the choice of having a Jag or a day off.

Archived