Being sacked for having cancer?

Rhumsaa

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

x1.6 rates.

Nearly as good as ours on MF. 14 posts and 12 quotes!

Hope she's in the Union or at least gets some representation at the hearing.

Unions have fucked up the country already,are you wanting more industry destroyed,unions are good at that.

I think you mean Margaret Thatcher...

This is just trying to get your version out there first to influence public perception of what's to come out of the hearing tomorrow.

Reading the article, it just looks like she was told to do things and refused, like not turning up to work. Not really sure what else you're supposed to do with an employee who doesn't follow management instruction, no matter how poorly worded it was.

she comes across as the you're bullying me for asking me do things type. that said a bus driver was also dismissed a few years back while going through the cancer experience so maybe if you aren't high enough up the food chain they don't want to entertain paying you sick pay for a long time anymore and come up with 'reasons' to justify getting rid?

I see the headline news in the paper is this story about a health worker who is facing disciplinary hearings following a battle with cancer.

Just from reading the online article it appears to be a more complex issue than the headline suggests. It just strikes me as being a strange way of going about things running to the papers midway through a disciplinary hearing? Seems potentially counter productive?

I agree. But reading the paper this is exactly the sort of ridiculous Kafka-esqe situation that could only happen in government. A stroppy employee getting in a ruck with a complete arsehole of a manager. No need to follow HR procedures because we're both civil servants and naturally we know best how to deal with what is a bit of a childish squabble. All with hilarious tribunal based consequences. I'm so glad I live in the real world where normal situations like these don't get totally blown out of proportion because two people are so under deployed that they have fuck all else to do but save copies of texts they've received and then goad each other until it ends up in court.

Unions have fucked up the country already,are you wanting more industry destroyed,unions are good at that.

I, along with 1100 others, was offered selective voluntary severance (SVS) from one company I worked for in the 90's.

I applied and was unsuccesful. I was however, offered another position in the downsizing (to 600ish), only above my grade, but without the benefits.

Seems the new post was unfilled at selection (though the previous incumbent - on the higher grade - was given SVS) and the manager selected me from provisional SVS list.

My original job was one of the redundancies, so I 'had' to take the new role. "The gates aren't locked, you can resign anytime you like" was his exact wording. Only no severance via resignation.

The explanation was that as I'd applied for SVS, I had indicated a lack of motivation. The new role wasn't paid in full for that reason and that I'd have to prove my mettle at the new grade before any benefits applied; with a minimum 2 year probationary period.

Now that's having your cake and eating it; constructive dismissal too!

My union (Unite) settled out of Court for a figure above the original SVS package offered. I doubt I'd have been able to achieve that without union support.

TBT.

This is just trying to get your version out there first to influence public perception of what's to come out of the hearing tomorrow.

Reading the article, it just looks like she was told to do things and refused, like not turning up to work. Not really sure what else you're supposed to do with an employee who doesn't follow management instruction, no matter how poorly worded it was.

she comes across as the you're bullying me for asking me do things type. that said a bus driver was also dismissed a few years back while going through the cancer experience so maybe if you aren't high enough up the food chain they don't want to entertain paying you sick pay for a long time anymore and come up with 'reasons' to justify getting rid?

No disrespect to this lady but the old sickness regime (where one could take as much time as one liked) has now gone along with other measures i would think that were abused at our expense for years.

I, along with 1100 others, was offered selective voluntary severance (SVS) from one company I worked for in the 90's.

I applied and was unsuccesful. I was however, offered another position in the downsizing (to 600ish), only above my grade, but without the benefits.

Seems the new post was unfilled at selection (though the previous incumbent - on the higher grade - was given SVS) and the manager selected me from provisional SVS list.

My original job was one of the redundancies, so I 'had' to take the new role. "The gates aren't locked, you can resign anytime you like" was his exact wording. Only no severance via resignation.

The explanation was that as I'd applied for SVS, I had indicated a lack of motivation. The new role wasn't paid in full for that reason and that I'd have to prove my mettle at the new grade before any benefits applied; with a minimum 2 year probationary period.

Now that's having your cake and eating it; constructive dismissal too!

My union (Unite) settled out of Court for a figure above the original SVS package offered. I doubt I'd have been able to achieve that without union support.

TBT.

If you applied for svs and failed then yes you did not deserve to regain your previous position and a downgrade was (in my view) justified,i would NEVER employ union members,zero hours only is best way forward.

With 13 years of service she can easily use the employment tribunal by herself for unfair or constructive dismissal depending on how and if she is sacked.

All the tribunal write ups are on the government website and these usually detail reasons for sacking and whether the employer followed a proper disciplinary process so it should be interesting to read if she does get fired.

x1.6 rates.

Nearly as good as ours on MF. 14 posts and 12 quotes!

Hope she's in the Union or at least gets some representation at the hearing.

I think you mean Margaret Thatcher...

The culture in our health service is disgraceful. Many employees complain about the bullying, idleness, incompetence and militancy of their colleagues and many of them give up in the face of a machine which is out of control and protects the most useless bitching employees above the most loyal and hard working!

(No matter what your opinion is of Margaret Thatcher, she did weaken trade unions at a time where the country was being held to ransom by them. A lot of the problems began in the sixties and seventies and Britain was a basket case).

First I'd like to say that I know nothing of this case, I don't know the person involved, and my comments are my own, and not an official hospital response.

Whatever anybody may think of the hospital or wider DHSC management, the fact is that nobody is going to get sacked for getting cancer. That is plainly ridiculous, and I find it incredible that the local rag would publish such rubbish as its headline. When it comes to sick pay, the rules are clear. If you've worked for long enough you get 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay before going on to nothing. There is no limit to sick leave as far as I'm aware, but after a year you're getting paid nothing. That's what income protection insurance or critical illness cover is for.

I don't know the rules on sacking people but I reckon if I had an employee who I was subject to disciplinary action for something and then they went to the paper and said something as silly as 'I'm getting sacked for having cancer' then I'd want to sack them for being stupid. Because as wrighty has pointed out NOBODY is going to get sacked for getting cancer, its absurd.

I don't know the rules on sacking people but I reckon if I had an employee who I was subject to disciplinary action for something and then they went to the paper and said something as silly as 'I'm getting sacked for having cancer' then I'd want to sack them for being stupid.

People get sacked for bringing their employer into disrepute when they post crap on Facebook. Probably entirely possible to sack for this if it is untrue and particularly if the employee agreed not to 'bring the employer into disrepute' in their contract.

Archived