new laxey bridge options

WTF

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some 'consultation'.

Today Tuesday between 11am and 7pm in the Laxey Commissioners' Office.

DOI officers there from 11 until 1pm and 5pm until 7pm

It was 3pm before I bought my paper. And I've got other things to do between now and 7pm today.

Consultation with Simon & Garfunkel for the win.

If El Chappo can dig a mile long tunnel I don't see why we can't have one going under the river.

With a glass roof like Seaworld! We could introduce turtles, stingrays, crocodiles and stuff to the river. The tourist department just don't have any vision.

Not like us with our tunnel vision.

Letter in the paper this week about it.

It's a pity it's lost the historical element of being the second oldest bridge on the Island after Monks Bridge, although by all accounts it lost most of the heritage element with earlier modifications etc, and you can't really recreate antiques once they are a heap of rubble in a river bed, and the stone has probably now been through the crusher and turned into gravel :(

I don't see all the rush though, a Bailey bridge could be slung across at minimal cost (and sell/have in reserve afterwards) to cover the summer (with curiosity value to attract visitors !) whilst they get a myriad of consultants to design the world class platinum replacement :lol:

Is there any need to have a footpath over the main bridge if it means single lane working ? (another Mexican Manx stand-off situation), that could be made 2 lane with a separate footbridge to keep walkers away from traffic

It seems too much of a rush job at the moment

It's the usual IOM short termism.

As it was able to take 2 lanes of traffic before, bringing it down to one (with footpath) will not go down well with those (like notwell) who love to use Lower Laxey as a "longtail run".

It needs to be fit for purpose not just when rebuilt, but for the next 200 years.

There should be a no left turn at the top of the hill to stop the office ringies using it as a shortcut, they have wrung their hands for years about this but failed to do anything to stop those ugly ramsey lot from driving through a quiet single carriageway residential area just to save themselves 30 seconds & fcuk the locals if they dont like it

Archived