new laxey bridge options

WTF

I was really hoping for a suspension bridge extending from Fairy Cottage to the Everlasting Bend. This way we would never have to worry about Laxey ever again.

FFS don't give them ideas ! a few consultants and Gawne and it could be reality before you know it !!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really hoping for a suspension bridge extending from Fairy Cottage to the Everlasting Bend. This way we would never have to worry about Laxey ever again.

And the Directress could have the cruise ships docking below it in an extended Laxey harbour...just in case Douglas was full of, er, docked cruise ships

Surely a perfect opportunity to build the Gubay memorial bridge, with his papal knighthood it could feature a life size bronze statue and would be a place of catholic pilgrimage...

Apparently they're reserving the 'Albert Gubay Ramsey Pier' or 'Albert Gubay Ramsey Swing Bridge' for that honour. It seems 99.9% of responses to the survey about the best way to pay our respects to Albert suggested the interviewer either 'take a long walk along a short pier' or 'Swivel on something'.

1a for me. A simple functional and practical bridge that will involve the absolute minimum of fannying about by "consultants" and labourers sticking bits of fanciful non load-bearing trim on it.

If they actually want it in place for the TT then 1a is the only viable option. It does at least leave the option open to stick some decorative trims on it later if they want.

Presumably the one with "seats" on it was going to be a lot wider than the original. Because otherwise the seats would be flattened by the first bus that went across.

1b for me. Can't really believe a professional architect came up with 3.

i b for me too.

Hang the seagull on it if you want a bit of decoration.

That reminds me - where is the seagull?

It's hanging on the Mayor's chain in the warehouse for expensive fuck ups they'd rather we forgot about.

1B is the nicest but I expect 1a does the same job but lots cheaper and looks as if it can be replaced if needed.

Can't be certain, but here's one Japanese bridge that's now rumoured to have been copied from the DOI. They got our level tarmacing right anyway.

eshima1.jpg?v=at&w=980&h=551&api=7db9fe6

Any link? A bridge design competition would've been ace and cheaper (only need to pay the winner). I've heard talk of salmons jumping over the river - same old same old. I'm fond of a bit of post modern shaping, why always so boring here?

try here and scroll down http://www.manx.net/isle-of-man-news

Screen grab:

post-1086-0-75894500-1452496598_thumb.jpg

Archived