new laxey bridge options

WTF

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An upside down bus bridge would be best.

With random "body" statues scattered round it, and a system whereby it explodes in flames at 1pm every day. (Like Edinburgh Castles one o'clock gun.)

Bridges are upside down, if you think about water flowing as it rises it get restricted at the arch, reducing flow. Why can't they be funnel shaped - the higher the water gets, the more it will allow through. Lets turn bridge building on its head and have an upside down bridge ... Oh, and some lights, pretty blue lights, like wot Douglas has .. and some shitty street art.

The department’s proposal will be for two-way traffic across the bridge – but on a single lane for vehicles. This means that if you are approaching the bridge from one direction and a vehicle has already started to cross from the other side, you will have to wait until the bridge is clear before driving across.

yet another single track road with passing places :(

why not widen it whilst you have the chance ?

#missedopportunity

The department’s proposal will be for two-way traffic across the bridge – but on a single lane for vehicles. This means that if you are approaching the bridge from one direction and a vehicle has already started to cross from the other side, you will have to wait until the bridge is clear before driving across.

yet another single track road with passing places sad.png

why not widen it whilst you have the chance ?

#missedopportunity

Perhaps it will stop people using it as a cut through, two cars used to be able to pass on the old bridge but many people used to complelely ignore the stop junction at the bottom of the hill!

I think I would research what is wrong with the top road first, why folks prefer to struggle down a narrow, twisting steep hill and up the other side and then try and merge with existing traffic in preference to using a 'main' road.

.............and then do something properly instead of building a new, one track bridge in the 'hope' that it will force drivers on to the top road.

Not from Laxey, are you, hillshepherd?!

Boy racers don't seem to mind what the obstacles are, as long as it is a shorter route. Between the bridge and Fairy Cottage, the road is narrow, with road humps and parked cars, but people still seem to find it preferable to go that way rather than along the main road.

As suggested previously, a suspension bridge.

Or a car-carrying monorail, a bit like Eurotunnel but on a much higher and grander scale. That should keep the DOI busy and satisfy the Directress for a couple of weeks.

Some 'consultation'.

Today Tuesday between 11am and 7pm in the Laxey Commissioners' Office.

DOI officers there from 11 until 1pm and 5pm until 7pm

It was 3pm before I bought my paper. And I've got other things to do between now and 7pm today.

"comments can be emailed to laxeybridge@gov.im or submitted in writing to the Director of Highway Services, Department of Infrastructure, Sea Terminal, Douglas"

Read more: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/take-a-look-at-laxey-bridge-design-options-1-7669939#ixzz3x2oyRsO4

Archived