new laxey bridge options

WTF

1a gets my vote, cheapest option leaving maximum room underneath it for branches to get under so the bridge is unlikely to help create a dam in the future. C and D are jokes, architects expensive wet dreams in visual form. what's the betting we get D cos there is a vague look of 1/2 another wheel for laxey about it

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any link? A bridge design competition would've been ace and cheaper (only need to pay the winner). I've heard talk of salmons jumping over the river - same old same old. I'm fond of a bit of post modern shaping, why always so boring here?

Cheers, I like the plain arch. The wheel is ghay, it'll win.

I like the plain arch too ( 1b ), it looks better than 1a, but if branches are getting washed down stream it creates a smaller hole for them to pass through so however unlikely over a single span that may be it still increases the risk of a branch getting stopped.

Elaboration is DOI's stock-in-trade.

Given the weather changes and specifically rainfall forecast for future years, practicality should come first, that means as big a passage as possible to allow the volume of water to pass underneath. Bollocks to wheels, bollards and arches. Let's make sure that we've got a usable, sustainable bridge for vehicles and pedestrians to use and water and debris to escape through underneath. Otherwise we'll end up doing it all again?

Given that we are not swilling in cash or time, function over form should take precedence and like others have said the two simple designs win hands down, however I suspect where Gov. are involved the most costly pie in the sky design will win ! Maybe a reproduction of the golden gate or something similar !

Surely a perfect opportunity to build the Gubay memorial bridge, with his papal knighthood it could feature a life size bronze statue and would be a place of catholic pilgrimage, with the forecast increase in tourist footfall the whole of old Laxey will need to be paved in chinese granite and the log cabin holiday homes will need to be replaced with a Premier Inn / Travel Logde.

Archived