People In ICT And e-business Won’t Need Work Permits

ManxTaxPayer

No doubt there will be the usual squeals about all this, and about people from across pinching jobs that the locals should get. Sadly this overlooks two rather important points ...

1) some of the locals are bone idle and don't want to work

2) some of the locals are just not bright enough to be trained to do these jobs

I would like to see jobs saved for locals. But at the end of the day, if the locals either will not do the jobs, or are not capable of doing the jobs. then I am happy to see them go to outsiders. It is better that the work is done on the Island, than off it.[/quote

Excellent post. The trouble is IOMG have made benefits a right, not a safety net. There are many who should be moved from incap/is to JSA but unfortunately this is being done in a slapdash fashion. JSA are not doing things any differently. The island over the last 10 years has seen benefits as a solution not the problem. It is now being cut financially, but it remains to be seen if it will work. There are some polish people living on benefits, not speaking any English! It's the little things. The indigenous (some) Manx see it as their right that they can demand a job irrespective of skills and experience. If you say do Hotel work or kitchen work, they refuse, hence the need to employ Polish or other EU nationals and Filipino staff in the care/healthcare industry - the Manx won't work or get out of bed.

so very very true.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know enough.

What do you know that gives you cause to believe it is inevitable that Pokerstars (or indeed eGaming in general if that's what you believe ) will leave the island?

At the moment a sizeable player in the gaming industry is locating part of their business here and I can see a case for more to do it.

Desperately trying to delay the inevitable day when Pokerstars fucks off somewhere else.

Says the man who has not a single clue about their business. None.

Which kind of implies you know everything about their business and think they will be here forever?

micro gaming are building a new office to increase in size so i dont think they are planning on going anywhere soon.

Desperately trying to delay the inevitable day when Pokerstars fucks off somewhere else.

Which kind of implies you know everything about their business and think they will be here forever?

micro gaming are building a new office to increase in size so i dont think they are planning on going anywhere soon.

In context the multi million pound investment probably represents a few weeks turnover. That's not to say that it isn't significant but in context if you end up taking a bath on a few million it won't be the end of the world.

I feel that this is not only to satisfy a shortage of people qualified to fill current positions, but also to remove a perceived obstacle to new companies who may wish to set up on the island. It is not to push opportunities out of the reach for local people but rather to grow a sector which has been recognised as offering an opportunity for the island. I believe that our chamber of commerce have been instrumental in helping to recognise this sector?

Ensuring a minimum wage of £25,000pa means that locals will also benefit from a reasonable salary and not be taken advantage of by employers.

I feel that this is not only to satisfy a shortage of people qualified to fill current positions, but also to remove a perceived obstacle to new companies who may wish to set up on the island. It is not to push opportunities out of the reach for local people but rather to grow a sector which has been recognised as offering an opportunity for the island. I believe that our chamber of commerce have been instrumental in helping to recognise this sector?

Ensuring a minimum wage of £25,000pa means that locals will also benefit from a reasonable salary and not be taken advantage of by employers.

The last thing we need is someone on here speaking common sense.

Stop it.

In context the multi million pound investment probably represents a few weeks turnover. That's not to say that it isn't significant but in context if you end up taking a bath on a few million it won't be the end of the world.

Always positive eh?

Clearly not in business.

At least our youngsters will get to work with and learn alongside all these cheap Indian IT guys that will arrive. Surely there's got to be a few waiter jobs serving them at the 3 Indians that will open?

Most jobs will be replaced over the next 20 years by robots & algorithms

Archived