People In ICT And e-business Won’t Need Work Permits

ManxTaxPayer

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does this tell us about our education system and training on the Island ? We've spent the last twenty five years sticking kids in front of a computer screen for seven hours a day and spending tens of millions on I.T. with the promise of jobs for the future. All learning has been pushed down this route, often at the expense of real education; now to be told that our workforce isn't good enough for anything much beyond inputting data in some back office; and that school leavers might as well pack their bags and head to the Indian and Asian subcontinent where all these jobs have already gone.

Or is it that we need to expand our tax base, keep selling houses for Dandara, desperately need new residents to fill them, and devil take the locals as usual ?

Which is the truth Lawrence ? I think we already know.

What does this tell us about our education system and training on the Island ? We've spent the last twenty five years sticking kids in front of a computer screen for seven hours a day and spending tens of millions on I.T. with the promise of jobs for the future. All learning has been pushed down this route, often at the expense of real education; now to be told that our workforce isn't good enough for anything much beyond inputting data in some back office; and that school leavers might as well pack their bags and head to the Indian and Asian subcontinent where all these jobs have already gone.

Or is it that we need to expand our tax base, keep selling houses for Dandara, desperately need new residents to fill them, and devil take the locals as usual ?

The truth is this is only formalising a process that has been going on for years anyway which is to bring in as many people from off Island as possible into this sector - particularly e-gaming. They will only employ locally as a last resort. I would love to see the real figures of what e-gaming actually contributes to our economy rather than the bullshit the DED has come out with so far.

Fortunately, there is of course a natural limit to this - when every square yard is full of new housing estates - what will we do then ?

An exaggeration I know , but ... just look at the place compared to even 20 years ago !

Why don't we retrain all the people being removed from Income Support and Incapacity Benefit to Jobseekers in ICT?

Or as surgeons?

The trouble is Government is spouting that much rubbish who or what to believe. On top of the IS/Incapacity fiasco, the Island has a NEET problem which it won't address. These young people are ending up living in bed sits on IS or JSA, don't stand much of a chance of getting a job - in fact an incubation period before they graduate to drug taking followed by criminal activities. What a waste!

The truth is this is only formalising a process that has been going on for years anyway which is to bring in as many people from off Island as possible into this sector - particularly e-gaming. They will only employ locally as a last resort. I would love to see the real figures of what e-gaming actually contributes to our economy rather than the bullshit the DED has come out with so far.

Oh lord, not this again.

Let it go FFS. eGaming contributes a signifgicant amount to the economy both directly and indirectly. I've seen this before from you and it's simply a case of having no understanding of the sector whatsoever.

And as for recruitment, i know plenty of people who have been employed in eGaming. It isn't a last resort at all. The reality is that a lot of the jobs do require a certain skill set and experience that can, in some instances, be very difficult to find so of course those sort of candidates will probably have to come from off the island. So what?

Why don't we retrain all the people being removed from Income Support and Incapacity Benefit to Jobseekers in ICT?

Or as surgeons?

The trouble is Government is spouting that much rubbish who or what to believe. On top of the IS/Incapacity fiasco, the Island has a NEET problem which it won't address. These young people are ending up living in bed sits on IS or JSA, don't stand much of a chance of getting a job - in fact an incubation period before they graduate to drug taking followed by criminal activities. What a waste!

That simply isn't true though is it?

The unemployment figures are in the hundreds. The reality is that if you drill down into those figures you have very few NEET's. It is more likely you have a few lazy twats that can't be fluffed to work and think they are owed something.

There is very little excuse not to working as a young person here.

The unemployment figures are in the hundreds. The reality is that if you drill down into those figures you have very few NEET's. It is more likely you have a few lazy twats that can't be fluffed to work and think they are owed something.

Why do you constantly spout unresearched bullshit?

Just shut the fuck up.

Why do you constantly spout unresearched bullshit?

Just shut the fuck up.

That would be hard for him. He is probably a high ranking civil servant, conditioned to lovingly obey their master/mistress. Sadly in this case regarding NEETS, myself, working in the real world have direct experience and knowledge, and see this with my own eyes. I'm afraid Government have merely buck passed, but now it's too late.

If this is really genuine and these are "highly skilled" individuals that the IOM cannot possible provide (or train), then why is the proposal for people earning over £25k?

That is a low income for skilled office work.

Do not agree with this at all.

If we haven't got the people with the right skills, then the company will be able to apply for a work permit, what's the problem? Why bring in a system that allows companies to overlook suitably experienced or qualified workers from the IOM workers pool and bring in new people? Just for one sector?

This is bullshit.

Archived