Binlid takes over Manx Radio

Kerry Coops

If it's true that he's now taking over a senior position you would think Manx Radio might cover it in their business news or issue a press release. Either it's not true or the people in charge are embarrassed to even give it a mention. Not a good start.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the meantime, the Arts Council gets a nice budget and certain people do nicely out of it,

There's no doubt certain people do well out of it, but doesn't the budget come from National Lottery money? I've got to say though, and just as an example, when you look at this and then look at this you can see how some people might view it as being a bit cosy, although I'm sure they must operate some sort of Chinese wall policy.

I believe the Arts Council are looking for more volunteers to go on the board if you wish to influence where the money goes to.

How it is spent is subjective and everyone is welcome to moan or praise how they see fit.

However the idea that just because we're a bit worse off than we have been recently we should scrap arts funding is not something I could ever agree with.

Just hearing that Alex Brindley is now in charge of the Nation Station. Many people working there are not happy.

I would have thought that any decision to promote him to a desk job away from the microphone would be strongly applauded by the listeners.

Well done Alex. I don't seek out his shows and I listen to fewer hours of Manx Radio than I ever have (BBC radio and Spotify enough for me), but he is chock full of enthusiasm and clearly very highly thought of up there. He's also very creative and very active in the local community: surely an important thing for someone who is in charge of the content of the local station?

Just hearing that Alex Brindley is now in charge of the Nation Station. Many people working there are not happy.

I would have thought that any decision to promote him to a desk job away from the microphone would be strongly applauded by the listeners.

Was the job advertised in the newspapers that matter? Guardian? Luvvies Weekly?

Times are not that hard that we should give up on supporting creative endeavours completely

This is clearly going to come as a big shock I know but I wouldn't hang the label "creative endeavour" on something like "Winging It Productions" and I suspect neither would anybody else....

Times are not that hard that we should give up on supporting creative endeavours completely

This is clearly going to come as a big shock I know but I wouldn't hang the label "creative endeavour" on something like "Winging It Productions" and I suspect neither would anybody else....

Well there goes my dreams of getting a big fat cheque out of the arts council and retiring

Arts Council - what a nice little Quango. I'm all for the Arts, as long as I don't have to pay for it through my taxes, and I don't see why I should fund other people's hobbies. Times are hard, Arts are not a priority ............. Neither is Manx Radio, the Governments mouthpiece.

I'm very much under the impression that last year a plane chartered from the island went to L'Orient in France for the Celtic Festival. Again, I believe over £100,000 came out of the Arts Council. If I am wrong, please correct me and accept my apologies. I personally think that this wasnt a good use of resources. Lots of people benefitted. I didn't but no doubt some of my taxes were used, still I'm not complaining, but I have every right to have my say.

I am not against supporting creative industries per se, however, there are many people who seem to be feeding from the creative talents of other people - politicians and civil servants alike. The funding should be used to promote activity - if a Manx Group have a record deal then their label should fund their Marketing. Manx culture will a positive interest in the island but I doubt it's going to create jobs or bring serious income to the exchequer. Times are hard - choices need to be made, the Sayle Gallery went part of the way, until the powers that be caved in.

Arts Council receives no taxpayer funding. It relies entirely on lottery funding. The Arts Council spends a good proportion of it's budget on young people on the Island

In some countries the Arts are used to generate tourism and employs significant numbers to achieve that (self funding). For some reason IOMG doesn't seem to see the value in that part of the Arts.

Wasn't the L'Orient event something to do with and paid for by Culture Vannin? I'm sure it was nothing to do with Arts Council. This question/answer was posted on here awhile back but can't find the entry.

ETA: here's the Culture Vannin accouns: http://www.culturevannin.im/cms/media/Annual%20Reports/Accounts%20and%20annual%20report%20of%20the%20Manx%20Heritage%20Foundation%20t-a%20Culture%20Vannin%202014-15%20noa.pdf

Arts Council - what a nice little Quango. I'm all for the Arts, as long as I don't have to pay for it through my taxes, and I don't see why I should fund other people's hobbies. Times are hard, Arts are not a priority ............. Neither is Manx Radio, the Governments mouthpiece.

I'm very much under the impression that last year a plane chartered from the island went to L'Orient in France for the Celtic Festival. Again, I believe over £100,000 came out of the Arts Council. If I am wrong, please correct me and accept my apologies. I personally think that this wasnt a good use of resources. Lots of people benefitted. I didn't but no doubt some of my taxes were used, still I'm not complaining, but I have every right to have my say.

I am not against supporting creative industries per se, however, there are many people who seem to be feeding from the creative talents of other people - politicians and civil servants alike. The funding should be used to promote activity - if a Manx Group have a record deal then their label should fund their Marketing. Manx culture will a positive interest in the island but I doubt it's going to create jobs or bring serious income to the exchequer. Times are hard - choices need to be made, the Sayle Gallery went part of the way, until the powers that be caved in.

Arts Council receives no taxpayer funding. It relies entirely on lottery funding. The Arts Council spends a good proportion of it's budget on young people on the Island

In some countries the Arts are used to generate tourism and employs significant numbers to achieve that (self funding). For some reason IOMG doesn't seem to see the value in that part of the Arts.

Wasn't the L'Orient event something to do with and paid for by Culture Vannin? I'm sure it was nothing to do with Arts Council. This question/answer was posted on here awhile back but can't find the entry.

ETA: here's the Culture Vannin accouns: http://www.culturevannin.im/cms/media/Annual%20Reports/Accounts%20and%20annual%20report%20of%20the%20Manx%20Heritage%20Foundation%20t-a%20Culture%20Vannin%202014-15%20noa.pdf

That's funny, I thought Geoffrey Corkish MLC MBE is the Arts Council Chairperson. If it's not taxpayer funded, why a political chair? Perhaps if the Arts Council was apolitical and lottery funded, then it wouldn't need Geoffrey at the helm, and getting paid for the privilege. Again if I've got my facts wrong I apologise.

And relating to the L'Orient, didn't Phil Gawne MHK - sure it wasn't because he was worth it?

Archived