Binlid takes over Manx Radio

Kerry Coops

Arts Council - what a nice little Quango. I'm all for the Arts, as long as I don't have to pay for it through my taxes, and I don't see why I should fund other people's hobbies. Times are hard, Arts are not a priority ............. Neither is Manx Radio, the Governments mouthpiece.

Times are not that hard that we should give up on supporting creative endeavours completely

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Gladys, he's been promoted to Programme/Content Controller (a job he's been understudying for some time). He won the position against stiff competition, presumably not including the alleged malcontents Kerry refers to who (as in most organisations) are happiest spreading gloom outside whilst still cashing the paycheques.

I thought he'd been doing it since he got the one remaining staffer job when most of the presenters went freelance so it seems odd to me. Just a change of title maybe?

Anyone with a brain cell is effectively disenfranchised from their local radio as there's nothing there for them. Even the supposed 'quality' programming is compromised. Manx Radio used to have a real local feel to it but that's long been lost to blandness and dumbing down.

Brindley has effectively been doing this job anyway for the last couple of years or so, and sprinkling the station's production and output with his magic shine. He's the boy up there and this is where you end up when you chase the lowest commercial denominator.

It won't make any difference to me. It's been shite for years and I'll stick to the BBC.

There are some truly bitter people on here.

You're a tiresome smartarse, but which part of my post is bitter ? I'm calling it as I see it. Put your own case chum.

The only thing tiresome are your bitter and ill informed comments.

Plenty of people are listening to Manx Radio and clearly enjoying the content. Otherwise no one would be listening would they? Of course according to you none of them have a brain cell.

And in fairness to Alex Brindley, whether you like him or not, he's been at it a while which suggests to be people are tuning in and enjoying what he does. Perhaps you could enlighten us on what Manx Radio should have done?

The new Manx Radio boss could officially open the new diesel loco simulator, and a Manx Radio roadshow be in attendance and broadcast to the masses. The DOI political members could use the occasion to sing each other's praises - election platform, and the public will be in awe of our leaders, and be reassured that the loco simulator, will help to provide them with funds in their old age.

Just hearing that Alex Brindley is now in charge of the Nation Station. Many people working there are not happy.

Surely that can't be true, any one who has heard any of his broadcasts knows the man is an embarrassment , although I'm sure he is a nice guy, and anything is better than the present lot.. So let's see how it goes

Ahh, this news perhaps explains the introduction of, erm, 'chemistry' between the male/female presenters, 'weather girl'.

This morning mandate and post-mandate was truly toe-curling.

Don't do it guys. Please. Don't do it.

It may well have worked for a short period on BBC Radio 2 in the 1980s and maybe these days a little with the short banter between Steve Wright and the traffic girl, but using this so-called sexual-chemistry on the air (*shudders*) is a mighty sharp double edged sword. Brindley is too self-obsessed to realise when he is making a total dick of himself and now he has the power spread his infliction.

This is going to be bad for Manx Radio. And it has actually been looking better these past few years.

Arts Council - what a nice little Quango. I'm all for the Arts, as long as I don't have to pay for it through my taxes, and I don't see why I should fund other people's hobbies. Times are hard, Arts are not a priority ............. Neither is Manx Radio, the Governments mouthpiece.

Presumably you are quite happy for other Tax Payers to fund your hobbies etc. you qualify as one of the huge amount of selfish Island residents

To me the JT of "Programme/Content Controller" sounds to me like the sort of role that a hardened professional would instinctively avoid.

Needless to say I know nothing whatever about running a noddy radio station in Toytown...

You're a tiresome smartarse, but which part of my post is bitter ? I'm calling it as I see it. Put your own case chum.

Well said Shaky

Times are not that hard that we should give up on supporting creative endeavours completely

I'm very much under the impression that last year a plane chartered from the island went to L'Orient in France for the Celtic Festival. Again, I believe over £100,000 came out of the Arts Council. If I am wrong, please correct me and accept my apologies. I personally think that this wasnt a good use of resources. Lots of people benefitted. I didn't but no doubt some of my taxes were used, still I'm not complaining, but I have every right to have my say.

I am not against supporting creative industries per se, however, there are many people who seem to be feeding from the creative talents of other people - politicians and civil servants alike. The funding should be used to promote activity - if a Manx Group have a record deal then their label should fund their Marketing. Manx culture will a positive interest in the island but I doubt it's going to create jobs or bring serious income to the exchequer. Times are hard - choices need to be made, the Sayle Gallery went part of the way, until the powers that be caved in.

Presumably you are quite happy for other Tax Payers to fund your hobbies etc. you qualify as one of the huge amount of selfish Island residents
I pay for my own hobbies and don't claim any benefits, handouts, grants or any other funding. I may be entitled as a citizen. If I was younger and still at school then I would have taken advantage of the music teaching. As an adult if I wanted to learn an instrument I would pay, or would pay to attend adult education. But I don't expect others to fund my hobbies nor should I expect charity, which should be given to those in greatest need. It's worth noting, a child suffering from a muscle wasting illness, can't get funding to ease/prolong their quality of life. In the meantime, the Arts Council gets a nice budget and certain people do nicely out of it, and money is spent on a loco simulator. Hardly pressing priorities.

If I'm paying for something I generally appreciate it and take care of it. I don't take things for granted.

Just hearing that Alex Brindley is now in charge of the Nation Station. Many people working there are not happy.

Must admit as soon as he appears on air I use the off switch. He is so cringeworthy. Always enjoy Stu's programmes as I think he is a good presenter. Otherwise it's mainly just the news I listen to.

Archived