Binlid takes over Manx Radio

Kerry Coops

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it's not though is it.

You create a demographic; you don't just have to lazily reflect what you think is an existing one. There's a whole demographic out there that a risk averse Manx Radio doesn't reach.

I get what you're saying but will Manx Radio get more revenue out of shaking up their demographic?

That's ace. And you are one of 4 sock puppets that are predictably depressive and think it's all one big conspiracy .

You should get out a bit from your bedroom . There is more to life than numbing up your arm and yanking the head of it whilst being angry at everyone.

I have just noticed that you give the same type of arrogant insults to many others on Manx Forums. You are plainly one of the Islands clever people who dislikes anyone having an opinion that does not conform to your own . I seem to remember in one of your insulting responses to me that you accused me of hating anyone rich or successful , you plainly are their spokesman so go fry your head.

Er, that comment was made to someone who insulted me.

Possibly one of your sock puppets because he comes across like a bitter old man like you.

Manx Radio do a lot more than just provide radio advertising to be fair.

Yes. I know. The adverts are actually one of the biggest turn-offs. They are dire. I would prefer they found a sustainable model to operate without them, maybe by some funding from the BBC and a cull of management.

That doesn't alter the fact common to all radio that the audience is ageing and the young are largely disengaged.

When I started there Manx Radio had a weekend 'youth' station on FM - KikFM - full of enthusiastic young people. It ceded that audience in return for better and more secure funding and to allow Energy FM to launch and appeal to that young demographic. And we all know how that panned out...

When I started there Manx Radio had a weekend 'youth' station on FM - KikFM - full of enthusiastic young people. It ceded that audience in return for better and more secure funding and to allow Energy FM to launch and appeal to that young demographic. And we all know how that panned out...

Yep. KikFM bequeathed us Alex Brindley didn't it?

It turned out nicely for some.

Juan Turner even got an MLC role out of it such is the desire of our government to keep the media on its side at all times. New station launches that has no IOMG cronies on the board - new political seat required filling.

I find that driving to work in the morning with Tim Glover or whoever it might be, generally ok. Catch up on a bit of news, music not too bad. At weekends, heard a bit of Christy last week or week before. Some fairly good music, mix of old and new, and a genuine warmth when she is talking/interviewing. Even when Jo Pack stood in in the afternoons recently....it was ok...listenable....nothing that made me think switch over/off.

Whenever I hear Brindleys voice...it is like with many others, an immediate switch to another channel. He may well be a nice chap and do plenty community wise...but his presenting style is cringworthy, unfunny, repetitive and he would be ideally suited to broadcasting on a radio channel in a hi-de-hi style holiday camp....thirty years ago. Seems im not alone in finding it unbearable.

If he does have increased clout at MR.....and has the interests of the station at heart, he will put ego aside and do the decent thing and allow some of the other obvious talent that is currently pushed to graveyard/holiday cover/quieter slots to step up and do the primetime shows and take a back seat to concentrate on organising other stuff (but NOT music policy !!)

Not forgetting his awfully strained "be excellent to each other" he was using at the end of his shows. Of course maybe he's the only person who ever watched the Bill and Ted movie. Best described as nothing more than a top shop clone DJ

Manx Radio do a lot more than just provide radio advertising to be fair.

Yes. I know. The adverts are actually one of the biggest turn-offs. They are dire. I would prefer they found a sustainable model to operate without them, maybe by some funding from the BBC and a cull of management.

That doesn't alter the fact common to all radio that the audience is ageing and the young are largely disengaged.

Oh, I don't know..... I quite like the "these 'ere Spectrum winders" advert, it's 'ace' (as my daughter would say). Geoffreeeeee!

I might be wrong but I reckon that Chris Williams' Saturday morning show may well be the most popular MR program.

Ed Oldham's Saturday night show is good. In that I really like about 50% and really hate 25% of what he plays.

Chris Williams's early morning show is really irritating, horrible songs from the 80's interspersed with bits of information about travel and the weather, that is somehow never the bit of information you want. So you'll tune in to find out whether your flight is going, and he'll play China Crisis, talk about the weather for ten minutes, then play Cutting Crew, then talk about traffic conditions for 5 minutes before playing Go West before talking about the sea conditions. BUT if you want to know the weather or traffic he'll spend 20 minutes talking about all the planes coming and going.

I know this is not his fault, but it is as if he's carefully programmed his show to piss me off, on the rare occasion I need to listen to him.

I haven't listened to Manx Radio since they fired that nice Tony Blackburn. Not enough ABBA and Tom Waits for my liking!

Tom Waits!! I hope I don't fall in love with you!

Archived