Tiny Cow

Bray Hill

But you'd charter in planes. You're quoting top price commercial flights notwell. I've done the sums. The Jacksons subsidy was £60 per ticket the TJ was at least £25.

I can understand why I should subsidise my fellow man for healthcare, education, social services and security. Not so sure about Tom Jones or the Jacksons

Well you wouldn't really John would you? 4000 people on chartered planes out and back without a hotel?

Regardless over the semantics of figures the statement I responded to was indeed rubbish spouted by Finlo.

As for subsidising Tom Jones, you and I subsidise loads of events as tax payers. Some appeal to us, some don't.

Everything doesn't just come down to the four categories you mention.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have cost less to fly the concert goers to Manchester or Liverpool to see these "stars" than the bill's we're left with afterwards.

That is utter bollocks.

I can't believe you took my post entirely seriously.

Why shouldn't Government get involved? You are not ever going to get huge stars like Tom Jones here any other way.

There are a huge range of events and festivals etc where government funding and support is given every year. Some of us benefit and have an interest in them. Some of us don't. Is the Tom Jones gig any different really?

This poster is so fucking stupid I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a parody account

Why shouldn't Government get involved? You are not ever going to get huge stars like Tom Jones here any other way.

There are a huge range of events and festivals etc where government funding and support is given every year. Some of us benefit and have an interest in them. Some of us don't. Is the Tom Jones gig any different really?

This poster is so fucking stupid I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a parody account

The government support a massive range of events. Including the TT. Which benefits some and not others.

What about Yn Chruinnaght? Also funded by the tax payer.

What about the Island Games? Student Games?

Car Rally?

There is absolutely no difference whatsoever in government getting involved in the Tom Jones concern. I didn't really get the Jacksons one.

But I'm not against the concept of supporting events for Tom Jones/Elton John type acts.

I can't understand any promoter spending so much money for a one night event. The Tom Jones concert clearly had a target audience of those of a certain generation. Why didn't they book the tent for a second night and get a band/singer in for a younger generation?

The government support a massive range of events. Including the TT. Which benefits some and not others.

What about Yn Chruinnaght? Also funded by the tax payer.

What about the Island Games? Student Games?

Car Rally?

There is absolutely no difference whatsoever in government getting involved in the Tom Jones concern. I didn't really get the Jacksons one.

But I'm not against the concept of supporting events for Tom Jones/Elton John type acts.

Yn Chruinnaght is a specifically Manx cultural festival, and motorsports are part of the island's DNA, and bring in tourist money. What is even more breathtaking (although, given that it's you, less so) is that you are unable to see a distinction between those events and Tom Jones (when rational, obvious distinctions exist), but somehow manufacture a distinction between Tom Jones and the Jacksons, where none does. They are both concerts that are purely commercial, have no cultural reference to the Isle of Man, and bring in the best part of sod all tourist revenue.

You are, I'm afraid, a fucking moron

And you are a bitter deluded cunt.

The fact of matter is that government support a wide range of things that some people benefit from. Others have no interest in. I had no interest in Tom Jones, the yn crunnaight or lots of other things the government support. But I'm happy others do and benefit from that.

We live on an island. We don't have the catchment area for a big arena and regular acts like Manchester etc. An opportunity arose to do something quite unique here these days.

If this was a very regular occurrence you would have a point. I wouldn't agree with 10 of those a year costing 100m but it isn't the case.

Everything government ploughs money into has a commercial implication as far as the tax payer is concerned.

My only real concern about any venture the government supports or under writes is where promoters and or organisers who are paid, earn their money. But that's a different debate.

What about the Island Games?

Island Games participants self fund the vast majority of their costs either through sponsorship, fundraising and personal contributions. There is a small IOMG subsidy but this usually amounts to around 10% of the total cost and it's never guaranteed so you can't factor it into your balance sheet as they don't pay it out until close to the event, although admittedly I don't remember ever *not* getting it and I've only missed three Games in the last 18 years.

Archived