Traffic chaos

TheTeapot

I don't know why they don't leave bucks road until later in July.

Bucks road is to sort the gas main. No doubt it'll need to be done again in July to smoothe it out once the gas people have re-laid it.

it used to be that certain counties of uk had better roads than others because they had road inpectors that actually knew their job and who cared to ensure road ĉuttings were properly reiñstated eg with proper material correctly ĉompacted etc, not jûst the old ßtuff bunged back in ẃith ßome tär mac thrôwn on top

i get the feeling that on iom the utilities and their sub ĉontractors please themselves how the rôäd goes back.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can be annoying sometimes with the odd delay I agree, and a lot of things could be better, but do we really have traffic chaos on the Island? Not convinced.

A late Friday afternoon in high summer, gridlocked on the Edgeware Road at Marble Arch, trying to get anywhere(and dying for a piss), would give a perspective on all this.

I used to live around the corner. I had a company car and did 300 miles in three years because the roads were so gridlocked - and this was quite a while ago.

The neighbourhood kids that used to break-in to my (stationery) car spent more time in it than I did - got some weird tapes left in the cassette deck.

Since then, I have never been able to acknowledge the IOM's "two cars at a roundabout" as real traffic.

You are right, some people need perspective.

PS the 300 miles in three years wasn't one long journey.

As annoying as the roadworks can be, perhaps the main problem isn't the roadworks themselves, but the ignorant, inconsiderate driving that seems to be prevalent on our roads and the need of drivers to be the first to their destination and sod anybody else.

Coming off summerhill in the morning, the cars coming from port jack will often sit on the bumper of the car in front so as to try to stop the summer hill cars filtering in.

If traffic ahead is not moving or moving slowly "you go, I go" works wonders to help congestion.

Vehicles frequently block junctions/roundabouts when their exit isn't clear (corkills roundabout, lord street roundabout and the junction at the end of Athol Street/railway hill spring to mind from personal use)

If drivers were a bit more thoughtful and waited behind the line, even if it means having to wait for one extra set of lights, that they would be helping themselves in the long run by allowing the traffic coming from their direction of travel to thin out a little bit.

let's be honest how much disruption will there be? probably add an extra 10/15 minutes onto your journey. I was stuck on the m6 last week moved 1 mile in 90 minutes due to a combination of road works and an accident.

It's more about timing and how it could be done better.

When the schools are off in the summer the traffic along Bucks Road around the peak times is substantially less. It just seems sensible to look to do it then IMHO.

You have to remember a lot of traffic is going to route itself round via the new school on Westmoreland Road which I don't think is necessary.

Erm surely it's because the year end is just round the corner and they don't want to short in there spending for this year. We don't want a Gawne sloc fiasco. So better off to be seen doing up some arterial roads, although they are only replacing pavement curbs which no fucker walks on, than some last minute resurfacing of Marine drive.

Erm surely it's because the year end is just round the corner and they don't want to short in there spending for this year. We don't want a Gawne sloc fiasco. So better off to be seen doing up some arterial roads, although they are only replacing pavement curbs which no fucker walks on, than some last minute resurfacing of Marine drive.

Yes budgets close out end of March.

Archived