Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Chris Thomas says there's a danger the new ferry terminal won't be complete on time or on budget. So just how high are we going this time? £99.9m is my bet.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-ferry-terminal-at-risk-of-not-being-completed-on-time-or-on-budget/

I just listened to Minister Thomas spout shite, going on about ‘orange’. WTF? I would say the whole project could be described as a lemon. Instead of waffle, he could have succinctly said, there is a possibility this scheme may not be delivered to time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

All the others were abandoned before they arrived at the end . Prom anyone . Also if talking about schedule you need to include costs as lots can be finished on time if you throw loads of workers at it .  

How could you forget the flagship project that is Victoria St new crossing?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Any idea how it’s being funded? They should be looking for a wealthy benefactor to fund & have naming rights 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Any idea how it’s being funded? They should be looking for a wealthy benefactor to fund & have naming rights 

I can’t imagine any HNWI wanting to be a benefactor, as IOMG will have probably pissed them off. 

Come to the Isle of Man to see a glorified old rowing boat - not exactly something for holiday experience, especially if it’s expensive. I can see this project costing up to £10million. Have IOMG set up its Capital Projects Unit yet?

It’s rather ironic that Castletown is having some money thrown at it, and a visitor experience, which will keep Moorehouse and the Village idiots quiet ………… for all of 2 minutes. In the meantime, they won’t get a new High School as IOMG won’t have the funds. Perhaps a rich benefactor will be found ………….. they could a wing named after them. They pissed Tilleard off. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I wonder what the breakdown of visits is across their sites and how much footfall the fringe sites (which Peggy would be) achieve? I'm guessing MM/HoM/Castle Rushen/Laxey Wheel form about 95% of traffic with the Grove/Old Tynwald/Rushen Abbey a tiny proportion except maybe school kids. Cregneash might do slightly better being on the coach route to the Sound.

Perhaps the economics teacher should ask how much it will cost to run. By my back of the fag packet calculations loan and running costs would be around £50k a month, or 4000 visits at the standard rate.

3 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Perhaps the economics teacher should ask how much it will cost to run. By my back of the fag packet calculations loan and running costs would be around £50k a month, or 4000 visits at the standard rate.

With the predicted 500,000 visitors a year by 2032 it should be a piece of cake....

• Haha 4

Re: Peggy - Two years ago Manx National Heritage Chairman Jonathan Hall said the costs would be "north of 5 million". Add inflation to that.

He also said "the advice from the experts is that you must show her fully rigged". That accounts for the height of the proposed structure. The masts may still be there but the sails are long gone, so they will be modern replicas.

Of course there is the possibility that they could display the boat in the way that it had lain for the last God-knows number of years.

And who is going to clean the windows of this structure? I suppose they plan to use self-cleaning glass, but I wonder if Pilkington has done tests with Manx seagulls around.

• Like 2

In sensible land, you'd donate the original to the maritime museum in Greenwich  who surely have the facilities and space to store her, and then build a replica to put back in the original building?

That would surely cost less than £5m???

Chris Thomas is the type of process politician who irritates me. If I look back at all his “initiative” and waffle, I’m hard pressed to think of any significant achievement. His speech delivery and mental process is soporific and he has the charisma of a loaf of medium cut white bread. Having said that this orange or yellow project is not something he is accountable for but something we have failed to hold those responsible to account. They have swanned off to new pastures or driving buses. Our failure to hold to account is probably the biggest failure of this whole saga. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

Chris Thomas is the type of process politician who irritates me. If I look back at all his “initiative” and waffle, I’m hard pressed to think of any significant achievement. His speech delivery and mental process is soporific and he has the charisma of a loaf of medium cut white bread. Having said that this orange or yellow project is not something he is accountable for but something we have failed to hold those responsible to account. They have, swanned off to new pastures or driving buses. Our failure to hold to account is probably the biggest failure of this whole saga. 

I agree with what you say. But you can't hold someone to account any more than asking them to leave or sacking them. We don't know the circumstances of Black's departure. Suspect he was pushed. Baker was not reelected and others had gone anyway.

Are you suggesting a week in the stocks for them all? Its a nice thought but unlikely to be legal these days. 

• Like 1