Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

MO, FWIW is that Flybe, given the make up of the fleet, should concentrate on the domestic and near EU lanes and forget all the others.

They should never have gone public back in 2009/2010 in an effort to keep up with the low-cost boys, especially since the aviation market was taking a hit because of the 2008 crash. The low cost model was already well served with Ryanair & EasyJet. They came too late to the market to compete, especially in Europe. 

The much vaunted arrival of Embraer jets on the IOM and other lanes never, ever materialised. WTF did they do with the £20 odd million that they received from EZY for the LGW slots, other than pay a golden goodbye to the outgoing CEO, Jim French. And why/how the feck he got a CBE for his 'services' is beyond me.

FlyBe could have been a force to be reckoned with in the domestic market but instead chose to ignore reality.

That's me done!

PS. I don't dislike FlyBe per se (just the Stobart ATR's that are bloody awful), I just think the strategy to go Europe-wide was a mistake.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

Writing the adverts now, ‘Steam Packet Airlines, if there ain’t a boat in the morning, there probably won’t be a plane either’.

I'm just waiting for some get rich quick merchant to get a few million to promote steam driven 'planes..........

9 hours ago, x-in-man said:

TT bookingers are going to be twitching about now.  My TT drinking pal ditched sleazy jet because of their appalling customer service, paid and booked Flybe already.  Think I’ll hang on for my summer booking now.

Hope he paid with a credit card.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, x-in-man said:

TT bookingers are going to be twitching about now.  My TT drinking pal ditched sleazy jet because of their appalling customer service, paid and booked Flybe already.  Think I’ll hang on for my summer booking now.

Easyjet have excellent customer service.  I had a flight delayed all day in the summer.  We were kept informed, given very generous meal vouchers and the pilot came out and told us what we could claim in compensation, which was paid out very quickly.  My daughter had her flight cancelled at the weekend due to the weather and was kept informed and was informed of the new flight time for the next day in really good time.  Their website always works and is very intuitive.  Where are you evidencing their 'appalling customer service?'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, x-in-man said:

We have used easyjet for years ( maybe 30 flights) and have never had any cause to complain.

We have been confronted with a cancellation only once due to their own staffing and were refunded within minutes.

On returning from holiday we applied for and received our compo in a matter of hours.

No complaints at all about easyjet :)

Easyjet are great at delivering their business model, I don't know how anyone can complain about them. To get a return flight to London for £60 is unprecedented on the island and cheaper and quicker than travelling there by train from a north west city.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Easyjet are great at delivering their business model, I don't know how anyone can complain about them. To get a return flight to London for £60 is unprecedented on the island and cheaper and quicker than travelling there by train from a north west city.

Like many others on here, I haven't had any real issues with EZY. I just wish they could format the IOM/LGW/IOM schedule more towards business customers, an early morning and early evening flight, Mon-Fri.  Mid-day and one flight a day doesn't really hack it for me and, I suspect, for others who don't need to travel into The City but use LGW either as a departure point to other destinations or even the LGW/LHR bus service. 

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Like many others on here, I haven't had any real issues with EZY. I just wish they could format the IOM/LGW/IOM schedule more towards business customers, an early morning and early evening flight, Mon-Fri.  Mid-day and one flight a day doesn't really hack it for me and, I suspect, for others who don't need to travel into The City but use LGW either as a departure point to other destinations or even the LGW/LHR bus service. 

I agree about the flight times and I'm sure they would get a lot more business if they made it day return friendly. I have to stay over a lot of the time now which isn't an issue in itself, as with Airbnb it works out more or less the same price as a day return as the flights the next morning (or from Luton) are a lot cheaper than an evening return, but it is a lot more inconvenient.

5 hours ago, Lxxx said:

I agree about the flight times and I'm sure they would get a lot more business if they made it day return friendly. I have to stay over a lot of the time now which isn't an issue in itself, as with Airbnb it works out more or less the same price as a day return as the flights the next morning (or from Luton) are a lot cheaper than an evening return, but it is a lot more inconvenient.

Most of the flights I've been on to LGW and back have been rammed. Not sure how they would get a lot more business tbh. Surprised they haven't muscled in on Manchester yet.

18 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

Most of the flights I've been on to LGW and back have been rammed. Not sure how they would get a lot more business tbh. Surprised they haven't muscled in on Manchester yet.

No that's a fair point. There's no need for them to alter the fight times if they're proving profitable as things stand and leisure travellers, which they are in the main, just want to get there and aren't time sensitive.  

We do need a proper day return to London. Maybe if Stobart's buy Flybe we might get one to Southend, which might work, just, if it's a 06:50am flight. Although we don't have the volume of business anymore, most people will just wait a few hours and take the Easyjet option and the early one will be half empty.