Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I think you will find that currently they only have the 2 stobart aircraft on the iom operating on their behalf and no Loganair aircraft. So not really a fair proportion.

Most of Flybe maintenance is contracted to Monarch engineering division

I wasn't referring to just IOM. Stobart is now operating on more Flybe routes than advertised. MAN-SEN for one. And you will get the odd lane pop up when FlyBe don't have an aircraft available due to their own aircraft going technical. I know, it's happened to me. (And is particularly annoying when you have reserved a seat at the front based on a Dash only to find that it's an ATR which loads from the back.)

The Loganair franchise is a legacy but costs will still be washing through the system.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be another excuse for poor performance.

39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wasn't referring to just IOM. Stobart is now operating on more Flybe routes than advertised. MAN-SEN for one. And you will get the odd lane pop up when FlyBe don't have an aircraft available due to their own aircraft going technical. I know, it's happened to me. (And is particularly annoying when you have reserved a seat at the front based on a Dash only to find that it's an ATR which loads from the back.)

The Loganair franchise is a legacy but costs will still be washing through the system.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be another excuse for poor performance.

Man-sen is a franchise route though which is somewhat different to them operating on behalf of Flybe, appreciate that perhaps matters not a bit to the average passenger though. The IOM flights are actually Flybe flights that they seem to pay Stobart to operate on some sort of ACMI contract.

Problem as i see it is they have too few profitable routes that do not attract the attention of the big carriers to support their current size 

• Like 1

A few on here seem to have a pretty good understanding of the aviation industry. Is it really that difficult to change unprofitable routes or even stop them altogether and have a plane sitting idle if it's that or lose money hand over fist flying planes that lose money virtually each trip. 

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, asitis said:

A real opportunity for more uncertainty in air transport !

A real opportunity for someone to take charge and run it properly for a change. They've jumped from one Chief Exec to another for years and nothing has improved. It's a convenient soundbite to blame external factors like Brexit but they were struggling badly before we even had a referendum. They need a new business model.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

A real opportunity for someone to take charge and run it properly for a change. They've jumped from one Chief Exec to another for years and nothing has improved. It's a convenient soundbite to blame external factors like Brexit but they were struggling badly before we even had a referendum. They need a new business model.

Absolutely true in terms of the UK operation, here the 2006 village idiots did their best to disenfranchise Flybe and to lose the base, whereby over 100 taxable incomes left the IOM and no aircraft were based here. IMO this makes us particularly vulnerable to whatever their new business model may be especially where a limited and non regulated market is also served by a low cost carrier !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

don't say that:rolleyes: bet "she who ate all the pies" is eyeing it up......

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

Absolutely true in terms of the UK operation, here the 2006 village idiots did their best to disenfranchise Flybe and to lose the base, whereby over 100 taxable incomes left the IOM and no aircraft were based here. IMO this makes us particularly vulnerable to whatever their new business model may be especially where a limited and non regulated market is also served by a low cost carrier !

But if there is a market to make money the gap will be filled. It's okay to keep harping on about a lifeline service, like some do on here, but no company can lose money and remain in business. If Stobart for example think they can make the island routes work they'll keep them on. Similarly with Easyjet. Or Ryanair.

In my opinion Flybe flew too many services to Manchester for instance. Five flights a day is overkill when none are full. They have limped along as a company for a while now, franchising different routes out and becoming a glorified branding company without any real value in the brand. Eventually other companies will decide they can do it all better and cheaper themselves. Which is what will happen.

• Like 2

Perfect time for the IOM Government to expand their new found interests in the travel industry.  Just think of what they could do with the Steam Packet & their own airline!  They could bring back the Manx Airlines brand and have it as a flag carrier to destinations all over the world!  

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

But if there is a market to make money the gap will be filled. It's okay to keep harping on about a lifeline service, like some do on here, but no company can lose money and remain in business. If Stobart for example think they can make the island routes work they'll keep them on. Similarly with Easyjet. Or Ryanair.

In my opinion Flybe flew too many services to Manchester for instance. Five flights a day is overkill when none are full. They have limped along as a company for a while now, franchising different routes out and becoming a glorified branding company without any real value in the brand. Eventually other companies will decide they can do it all better and cheaper themselves. Which is what will happen.

I think the reason behind the number of services is that it costs the company more to have the aircraft sat on the ground at the airport than it does to actually fly even if they are virtually empty.  I think this is the same reason Easyjet fly to the Island.  I suspect that if you looked at their schedules then you would find the IOM flights nicely fill a gap between other services when they would otherwise be incurring airport charges.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Perfect time for the IOM Government to expand their new found interests in the travel industry.  Just think of what they could do with the Steam Packet & their own airline!  They could bring back the Manx Airlines brand and have it as a flag carrier to destinations all over the world!  

I think the reason behind the number of services is that it costs the company more to have the aircraft sat on the ground at the airport than it does to actually fly even if they are virtually empty.  I think this is the same reason Easyjet fly to the Island.  I suspect that if you looked at their schedules then you would find the IOM flights nicely fill a gap between other services when they would otherwise be incurring airport charges.  

Yes I agree with the point about standing charges at airports and it is probably the reason Easyjet decided to fly here initially but the flights to Gatwick are virtually full most days so there is now a sound business case for maintaining the route.

Flybe have been wobbling for a long time, put them out of their misery. I agree let's instigate dialogue with another operator though to try and get a base back here. We have the opportunity to offer an incentive to someone to replicate what Flybe did a while back. It just needs someone with a commercial brain in key positions within government to think outside the box and not just repeat the same mantra about open skies etc... Be creative.

Unfortunately we've got the same brains in there that wrote a business case for millions of passengers a year through the airport but forgot the detail of where they were going to come from though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

TT bookingers are going to be twitching about now.  My TT drinking pal ditched sleazy jet because of their appalling customer service, paid and booked Flybe already.  Think I’ll hang on for my summer booking now.

mention tt= bailout by iomg taxpayers cash.....

• Like 1