MLC nominations open

notwell

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noam Chomsky is senile. The Dalai Lama is a religious fundamentalist whose ideology promulgates caste discrimination adversely affecting hundreds of millions of people, and Michel Houellebecq....what a random name drop. I think you'll find that human beings are more than the sum of their parts. All must be considered and open to discussion. Nobody is too important or too big a smarty pants to not be concerned with things like dog poo or bus stop etiquette. We're all the same at the end for the day. We all shit.

There was a live interview on Manx Radio Mandate this morning with former MHK and MLC Dominic Delaney. It was good open stuff, with the bottom line being that there is no need for the Legislative Council, at least in its current form. Also that if it is to persist then the members should be elected by the public.

The interview is here and starts about 51 minutes.

A useful quote from the interview: " ...it's like a slug crawling over the canvas of the politics of the Isle of Man".

Within a few short hours, Howard Quayle was replying on Manx Radio news, and giving what I though were his rather feeble reasons for keeping the Legislative Council. I suppose he owes the boys for electing him.

No doubt his words will be up on the Manx RAdio website shortly, to compare with Dominc Delaney's.

Dominic Delaney topped the House of Keys Douglas East poll in 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, and was made MLC in 1995 where he remained until 2005.

Looking at his third term as a Memebr of the Legislative Council, he was voted out and replaced by Douglas West MHK Alex Downie.

So...the vacant seat then left by Mr Downie - to the shock of Tynwald and Government in general (oh and the 'establishment') - was fought and won by Dominc Delaney.

Aye, it's hard to keep a good man down and he bounced right back, in their faces. He'd made his point and stood down at the following general election. He had made his point and perhaps most usefully had stopped Geoff Cannell regaining his seat in the House of Keys. (Geoff Cannell was a brilliant man for the TT and Manx Radio, but local 'celebs' just don't really cut the ice as politicians imo, well, too establishment aren't they).

Not sure about the last bit, gettafa, I always though that GC got in on the hope that he was a bit of a loud, loose cannon that might stir things up a bit? (Even back then...). He quickly failed IIRC, some stew about buses and transport too?

I liked Geoff Cannell as a person and suppose I would have voted for him if I was in Onchan. All the people I knew did, but they all had bikes and so thought they 'knew' him. They didn't. I suppose he wasn't that bad, but he did speak out in favour of an all-Island speed limit and many people felt he had turned his back on them. He got in and only narrowly beat Quirkie, who at the time was on his 5th (failed) attempt. So I suppose Geoff saved us from Quirkie for a while.

Geoff Cannekll lost his seat to Adrian Earnshaw, so that says it all really.

Anyway, GC was just an aside to the Dominic Delaney story.

I see that Manx RAdio now has the Chief Ministers feeble bleatings in favour of LegCo:

The Chief Minister says the importance of the Manx parliament’s upper house cannot be overstated.

All I can say, is that when Howard was a new MHK he was greener than a green thing and spoke some utter naive shite whenever he did open his mouth in the Keys, such as whinging about the amalgamation of the MEA and Water Authority, without a hint of irony or sarcasm, just genuine down to earth Howard logic: "Everyone know that water and electricity don't mix."

I suppose when it boils down to Howard being CM, you need experience to guide you, even if that experience is from the likes of Geoff Corkish and David Anderson (two of the most useless and ineffective MHKs I have ever known)

Archived