MLC nominations open

notwell

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, until we can abolish this "Club" for failed politicians and pompous arseholes, I would play devil's advocate and suggest it doesn't actually matter who gets in, does it? Let's face the facts - unless something pops up in Leg Co that affects them personally or directly, they just sit there like a group of baboons saying Äye"at regular frequencies. Only now again does someone (and mainly JuanTurner) put in a token argument.

So, as I said - until we manage to get rid of this farce altogether, we may have to just accept that we are shelling out a salary to a prat for putting in 30 minutes a week. And to anyone who trys to tell me that MLCs work hard - I say bollocks.

Someone of a legal background would be novel. And nice.

the establishment have already declined anyone qualified to do the job, got to be another 'wally'

Yes they don't want anyone smarter than themselves. Michael Moyle would certainly have ruffled a few feathers.

I'd vote for him as directly elected Chief Minister. Definitely wouldn't take any nonsense or hostages.

I'll bet you have never met him and know nothing about him. Silly boy.

What a strange comment. I don't know him socially but of course I've "met" him and many times in a professional capacity. As I'm sure you know. He's not Jesus Christ or the POTUS for crying out loud.

Maybe the Members will recognise the current public feeling and vote for a more appropriate new MLC instead of one of the "boys club" !!!!

They should just leave the seat vacant and let the other seats go vacant as these freeloaders end their term of milk and honey. Let them drift off into the sunset.

Oh, and the Bishop's seat has been vacant for yonks and the Isle of Man hasn't sunk into the sea or been struck down by pestilence.

It's about time there was another system adapted that had more public involvement and input. The current one is a farcical joke, full of well paid guppy fish types, there only to bolster the Government and keep it sweet so they can get another 5 easy years of easy money and easy life.

Maybe the Members will recognise the current public feeling and vote for a more appropriate new MLC instead of one of the "boys club" !!!!

Like they did when they picked Tony Wild?

Whoever they pick, rightly or wrongly is perceived as part of the Boys club upon election.

Three pages of MF topic on the Legislative Council and its members of therein. And not a mention of Geoff Corkish. Here I'll do it:

Geoff Corkish.

There, says it all.

Not the best, but certainly by a long way, not the worst MLC. Whoever gets voted in will be useless and ineffective. The system is damaged and needed reform - banning MHKs from giving up their 💺 to get elected to MLC may be a start. Some of LL ideas may work but others I'm afraid won't. The idea of MLCs sitting around not serving on statutory bodies and a department whilst being paid a yearly salary isn't good. MLCs need to be those people who don't need the money, can work for no remuneration, are essentially retired. They will be paid expenses for travel etc - perhaps £5,000 pa.

Three pages of MF topic on the Legislative Council and its members of therein. And not a mention of Geoff Corkish. Here I'll do it:

Geoff Corkish.

There, says it all.

His position on the LegCo makes him no better than benefits scum as far as I'm concerned.

Geoff Corkish.

There, says it all.

Not the best, but certainly by a long way, not the worst MLC. Whoever gets voted in will be useless and ineffective. The system is damaged and needed reform - banning MHKs from giving up their 💺 to get elected to MLC may be a start. Some of LL ideas may work but others I'm afraid won't. The idea of MLCs sitting around not serving on statutory bodies and a department whilst being paid a yearly salary isn't good. MLCs need to be those people who don't need the money, can work for no remuneration, are essentially retired. They will be paid expenses for travel etc - perhaps £5,000 pa.

Incidentally why doesn't the Legislative Council sit in the evenings from say 6-10, perhaps this will encourage business types and others to devote some time to real issues. They could devote 1 or more days to attend the Tynpotwald sitting, and they will be paid expenses. This happens in the real world where people voluntarily give their time to sit on the board of Housing Associations or where business people sit on the board of directors as a non-executive director. Not all them get paid, they get expenses, meetings are held in an afternoon or evening etc. Discuss.

Geoff Corkish.

There, says it all.

Not the best, but certainly by a long way, not the worst MLC. Whoever gets voted in will be useless and ineffective. The system is damaged and needed reform - banning MHKs from giving up their to get elected to MLC may be a start. Some of LL ideas may work but others I'm afraid won't. The idea of MLCs sitting around not serving on statutory bodies and a department whilst being paid a yearly salary isn't good. MLCs need to be those people who don't need the money, can work for no remuneration, are essentially retired. They will be paid expenses for travel etc - perhaps £5,000 pa.

Incidentally why doesn't the Legislative Council sit in the evenings from say 6-10, perhaps this will encourage business types and others to devote some time to real issues. They could devote 1 or more days to attend the Tynpotwald sitting, and they will be paid expenses. This happens in the real world where people voluntarily give their time to sit on the board of Housing Associations or where business people sit on the board of directors as a non-executive director. Not all them get paid, they get expenses, meetings are held in an afternoon or evening etc. Discuss.

A bit like the government statuary boards which we have now you mean?

Geoff Corkish.

There, says it all.

His position on the LegCo makes him no better than benefits scum as far as I'm concerned.

The same could be applied to some of MHKs elected. Sadly with some of them, the MHK salary will be most amount of money they will ever receive in their lifetime.

Archived