MLC nominations open

notwell

Three pages of MF topic on the Legislative Council and its members of therein. And not a mention of Geoff Corkish. Here I'll do it:

Geoff Corkish.

There, says it all.

Not the best, but certainly by a long way, not the worst MLC. Whoever gets voted in will be useless and ineffective. The system is damaged and needed reform - banning MHKs from giving up their to get elected to MLC may be a start. Some of LL ideas may work but others I'm afraid won't. The idea of MLCs sitting around not serving on statutory bodies and a department whilst being paid a yearly salary isn't good. MLCs need to be those people who don't need the money, can work for no remuneration, are essentially retired. They will be paid expenses for travel etc - perhaps £5,000 pa.
Incidentally why doesn't the Legislative Council sit in the evenings from say 6-10, perhaps this will encourage business types and others to devote some time to real issues. They could devote 1 or more days to attend the Tynpotwald sitting, and they will be paid expenses. This happens in the real world where people voluntarily give their time to sit on the board of Housing Associations or where business people sit on the board of directors as a non-executive director. Not all them get paid, they get expenses, meetings are held in an afternoon or evening etc. Discuss.

A bit like the government statuary boards which we have now you mean?
In a way yes. Unfortunately MLC is part of tradition here. The island needs a change of direction. If you wish to serve your community it doesn't matter whether you serve as a councillor, statutory board member or a committee member. Or are people doing it for the money?

MLCs are another layer of Government which really serves no purpose, except it costs the taxpayer. It could be done by a statutory board type set up. Why not MLCs serve 2 year duration positions, followed by re-elections. Those who were obsessed with the social status would have the title of MLC after their name, but would be paid only expenses. Maybe this will prevent politicians seeing the role as a 'retirement lifeboat' or extra pension funding.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geoff Corkish...one good reason to introduce Unelections.

Can't stand the man. Parasite.

Sadly whilst you and others may not like him and at times, I don't always have a charitable word to say, there are many people who love ❤️ him. There are probably some in here who think he is the answer to the islands problems. Like people love Gawne, whom I havent got a nice word to say about. It is worth noting that in some cases in the U.K. if you sit as a board member, some organisations require everybody to undergo a CRB/DBS check as matter of routine. I'm sure some of our politico type may not like this!

You on the square too 2112? There's a band of ready made 'friends' there.

Plus there's such as all the li'l ol' ladies for whom he will have tickled their fancies when he was stood outside the polling station beaming and talking loudly. Aye, the heart of Douglas West.

etc

Note to sitting mhks who have been known to secretly read these forums.

Let's have a completely clean skin elected and not any of the old boys club back in please, that should be made into law.

Though I'd prefer they just abolished the lot of them as there a waste of taxpayers money in its present form.

Its possible the only scrutiny some will do is maybe read there payslips and if they were tested on what they are supposed to be reading wouldn't have a clue.

Establishment through and through. Personally would have preferred someone who lives in the real world and has to put up with problems like we do. Yes I'm sure they will provide invaluable advice be able to scrutinise etc, but they will be 'aye' fodder. I would like someone who can input not output and is prepared to offer compromise solutions.

Nah she's qualified and experienced in law. They won't want her showing them up, like Moyle would have. More chance of a snowball in hell. Any moots been nominated yet, it'll have more chance.

Someone of a legal background would be novel. And nice.

the establishment have already declined anyone qualified to do the job, got to be another 'wally'

Yes they don't want anyone smarter than themselves. Michael Moyle would certainly have ruffled a few feathers.

I'd vote for him as directly elected Chief Minister. Definitely wouldn't take any nonsense or hostages.

I'll bet you have never met him and know nothing about him. Silly boy.

What a strange comment. I don't know him socially but of course I've "met" him and many times in a professional capacity. As I'm sure you know. He's not Jesus Christ or the POTUS for crying out loud.

You're a bartender?

Establishment through and through. Personally would have preferred someone who lives in the real world and has to put up with problems like we do. Yes I'm sure they will provide invaluable advice be able to scrutinise etc, but they will be 'aye' fodder. I would like someone who can input not output and is prepared to offer compromise solutions.

On what basis is she establishment through and through, other than having the good sense to know the only way to get elected is by having members vote for her?

On what basis is she establishment through and through, other than having the good sense to know the only way to get elected is by having members vote for her?

I take your point. However, why stand now - she should have stood at the last general election. Have the courage of your convictions and put your policies to the test. What are her policies? What does she believe in? Does she believe in LegCo and Lord Lisvane's recommendations? These are serious questions which need addressing. After all we can't rely on Corkish, Crookall, Anderson and Cretney to give us a serious answer do we?

Archived