UK General Election

Bobbie Bobster

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

My sentiments exactly. Corbyn has an enormous aura of "Kinnochio Effect" about him and is only leader because lots of youngsters joined the Labour Party. Probably because they feel they have no voice or future under the status quo is my guess.

I also get the impression that it's all about party politics more than anything else. Because the EU referendum has polarised the UK probably as much as Thatcher did.

My take is that the EU have made it VERY clear that the UK is in for a very tough time. For example there will be no negotiations before the UK agree to the divorce settlement of some £50 to £60 billion - and that's just for starters. So, in theory at any rate, the UK would have exited the EU by March 2019. Possibly with a really shit deal (a la Voltaire) or no deal at all that would have somewhat coloured the election campaigns shall we say that would have kicked off in about 9 months later or less.

Now the UK electorate have VERY short memories - but not that short!

So I take this snap election as a sign that they think the departure from the EU is going to be very painful. So they are maxing out the time between leaving the EU and the next General Election in the hope that things would have become, well, better over the three years that will have passed since the break.

Incidentally, I don't think I'm any more cynical that the tory leadership....

more pk bullshit that he can't backup what a tard.....

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon that the Tory strategists and power brokers are predicting a shitstorm in a couple of years time and want to get the election out of the way. They'll romp it now but things could be very different in 2019 and 2020. The last thing they'll want then is an election that they could conceivably lose. Corbyn will be gone by then too and they could be facing a stronger Labour opposition. A June 2017 election buys them time, which they'll need when the going gets rough.

10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I reckon that the Tory strategists and power brokers are predicting a shitstorm in a couple of years time and want to get the election out of the way. They'll romp it now but things could be very different in 2019 and 2020. The last thing they'll want then is an election that they could conceivably lose. Corbyn will be gone by then too and they could be facing a stronger Labour opposition. A June 2017 election buys them time too, which they'll need when the going gets rough.

Yes they don't want to be going through an election just as all the real fallout of Brexit hits. If it's a complete economic shitstorm they'll be blamed for it so better go for it now before anything has actually happened and they can't be blamed for any negative impacts (if any materialize). I still think May hasn't got the support she thinks she has given that nearly 50% of the country didn't vote for Brexit.

3 minutes ago, hboy said:

Yes they don't want to be going through an election just as all the real fallout of Brexit hits. If it's a complete economic shitstorm they'll be blamed for it so better go for it now before anything has actually happened and they can't be blamed for any negative impacts (if any materialize). I still think May hasn't got the support she thinks she has given that nearly 50% of the country didn't vote for Brexit.

if they get 50% of the vote, it will be a very good day for them....

7 minutes ago, hboy said:

she has given that nearly 50% of the country didn't vote for Brexit.

Just an FYI, I wanted to remain but also if I could, I'd vote Tory. I wouldn't want to see Labour try and sort out a Brexit deal. 

16 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Just an FYI, I wanted to remain but also if I could, I'd vote Tory. I wouldn't want to see Labour try and sort out a Brexit deal. 

There's no one denying which way you'd vote. Bit strange that you'd vote for someone who has promised to deliver something you claim didn't want and didn't vote for just because they're Tory. It's a bit like calling the Fire Brigade when your house is on fire and being happy when a Policeman turned up just because the uniforms are the same colour. 

15 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I thought the reason they gave for not allowing a second scottish referendum was that it would take up too much time and cause too much uncertainty in our pre post brexit world? 

it was just to upset the scotards.....

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I  see the FTSE100 closed down 2.5% as a result of the stronger pound.  It will be interesting to see the markets reaction in the next few months. 

"May you live in interesting times..."  it really is a curse!

down to iron ore and oil price

Archived