UK General Election

Bobbie Bobster

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I hope people are smart enough to vote for the biggest Tory landslide in history and don't go and F things up by voting for corBIN or any of these other pro EU LOSERS.

Might be a Tory victory but not necessarily a May Tory victory.

I cannot envisage Labour announcing a pro-EU/remain based campaign.  That would go against the will of their traditional heartlands in the north and damage the party in the long term.  They will most likely take a "soft Brexit" stance and as a result will remain an ineffective opposition.

The Lib Dems are best placed to make a pro-EU campaign but they may not have the trust of voters after having got into bed with the Tories so recently and abandoning some of their core policies as a result.  

Initially I was encouraged that a pro-EU government could be elected and at the very least avoid a hard brexit, however, the more I think about it the more I have realised that this is nothing more than a power grab by the Tories.  They know that the first past the post electoral system in the UK stands to benefit them as the anti-Tory voters will be split between the smaller parties.  The Tories will also gain votes from the brexiteers who will just want to ensure that a pro-EU Government does not get elected.     

Any hope of ousting the Tories, whether that be from a remain stance, or just that people do not agree with Tory policy on the economy/welfare/NHS etc would require a massive change in voting habits to actually ensure that another party was returned with a majority.  Best case scenario is potentially another coalition Government for those apposed to Tory policy.

Looking for a positive spin on this. 

It brings the end of Corbyn as leader of Labour nearer. 

Also, a Tory victory in 2017 rather than 2020, means we are a little bit closer to the end of this failed government 2022 rather than 2025. 

2 hours ago, Tarne said:

Ooh, shiny new forum. Literally got out of bed with a surprise erection to find a surprise election. Wonders never cease. 

Out of bed before midday - can't be a benefits scrounger then?

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Looking for a positive spin on this. 

It brings the end of Corbyn as leader of Labour nearer. 

Also, a Tory victory in 2017 rather than 2020, means we are a little bit closer to the end of this failed government 2022 rather than 2025. 

My sentiments exactly. Corbyn has an enormous aura of "Kinnochio Effect" about him and is only leader because lots of youngsters joined the Labour Party. Probably because they feel they have no voice or future under the status quo is my guess.

I also get the impression that it's all about party politics more than anything else. Because the EU referendum has polarised the UK probably as much as Thatcher did.

My take is that the EU have made it VERY clear that the UK is in for a very tough time. For example there will be no negotiations before the UK agree to the divorce settlement of some £50 to £60 billion - and that's just for starters. So, in theory at any rate, the UK would have exited the EU by March 2019. Possibly with a really shit deal (a la Voltaire) or no deal at all that would have somewhat coloured the election campaigns shall we say that would have kicked off in about 9 months later or less.

Now the UK electorate have VERY short memories - but not that short!

So I take this snap election as a sign that they think the departure from the EU is going to be very painful. So they are maxing out the time between leaving the EU and the next General Election in the hope that things would have become, well, better over the three years that will have passed since the break.

Incidentally, I don't think I'm any more cynical that the tory leadership....

Archived