Advice to a New Immigrant?

Balatro

Howdy everyone! I'm a US citizen that has been offered a job on the IoM in the northern plains section (around Jurby, more specifically). I don't have a firm date of when I'll be moving to the isle but it'll be soon'ish.

What should I know? I'm looking for events (festivals, TT, etc), advice on particular banks to use, setting up internet service, grocery shopping, etc - anything and everything that you might wish to share or deem useful!

I'm a 32 year old male - no kids. I've signed a three year contract so I'll be around for a bit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

First thing is don't take a word you read here seriously.

Second thing is you will absolutely love Jurby, it is an amazing place.

The nightlife is to die for

18 minutes ago, Balatro said:

Howdy everyone! I'm a US citizen that has been offered a job on the IoM in the northern plains section (around Jurby, more specifically). I don't have a firm date of when I'll be moving to the isle but it'll be soon'ish.

What should I know? I'm looking for events (festivals, TT, etc), advice on particular banks to use, setting up internet service, grocery shopping, etc - anything and everything that you might wish to share or deem useful!

I'm a 32 year old male - no kids. I've signed a three year contract so I'll be around for a bit.

Are you into witchcraft? The grandmaster of the Jurby coven is apparently looking for new recruits; and at some stage if you're going to live in Jurby you'll find them dancing starkers in your garden around a wicker man anyway so it's probably best to sign up voluntarily. Ritual sacrifice isnt so prevalent up there now - it's largely ceremonial and symbolic these days. Also after you get here don't tell anyone you've got three years in Jurby. They'll probably assume that you have a really big collection of internet pictures that aren't that mainstream. 

I hope this helps. 

3 years in jurby, is unusual, they dont normally do more than 1 year, after that they normally have to do there time in a uk prison i think, but i cant be certain of that.

If i was you i wouldn`t say "i am from jurby", its not the sort of thing you say i these parts !!

26 minutes ago, Balatro said:

Have you got and do you need a work permit for the Island that is as distinct from whatever you may have or need for UK clearance for entry...Best check as there have been a few changes...

Assuming you are serious this forum is probably not the best place to come to for information about the pros and cons of  choosing to live/work on the island.

Suffice it to say that  the posters on this site( IMO ) do not represent a fair cross section of those who chose to live here .

Just saying

:):flowers:

27 minutes ago, paswt said:

Assuming you are serious this forum is probably not the best place to come to for information about the pros and cons of  choosing to live/work on the island.

Suffice it to say that  the posters on this site( IMO ) do not represent a fair cross section of those who chose to live here .

Just saying

:):flowers:

All the posters on here are forced to live here as apparently we're all posting from  prison.

36 minutes ago, Balatro said:

Internet: Manx Telecom are usually better/more reliable but Sure is cheaper

Grocery: Marks & Spencer is best. Tesco are good. Shoprite are cheapest. M&S and Tesco are in Douglas. Shoprites are everywhere.

Banks: Isle of Man bank is a subsidiary of RBS (one of the majors). All the big banks are here but IOM Bank might be best (I'm with Lloyds)

You'll start off (as an american) thinking the drive from Jurby to Douglas is no big deal. But as time passes it will feel like crossing the Rio Grande (like my US reference?)

There's only one electricity company. Most of your bill goes to covering their bad decisions in the recent past.

You have a choice of Gas or Oil for heating....I'm Gas for convenience but everyone agrees that Oil is far cheaper to heat our drafty homes.

I predict house prices will continue to drop for the foreseeable future, so stick with renting.

If you're fit and healthy, take up cycling :)   There's a big cycling scene over here and they/we spend a lot of time in Jurby.

There's no nudie bars.

Finally, watch ManxForums in action as every word I've said is criticised (not criticized), especially the last bit.

Archived