MLC Rant - says Manx Radio.

woolley

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

But it's so muddled:

On the one hand:

All in all the bad Government policies have created this situation and a failing to see that the Isle of Man detaching itself further from the uk, I believe has brought more harm than good.

But then on the other:

If the IOM was a closer part of the UK it would be allocated funding from London as rural areas are supported and you know what the Government policy is for at least the 5 years. With devolution there's no reason why the IOM could not maintain control of key economic policies.

So it's very difficult to determine what he is actually advocating.

Agreed. I think a lot depends upon in what context he is using the term "devolution"

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much of this depends on the direction the Island is being taken in by our politicos. Do they have a real plan? Or are they just hanging in on a wing and a prayer, buffeted by fallout from the various debt situations and whatever will be imposed on us following Brexit that we have no say in?

And the question of course, can we, the population financially afford whatever direction we are being taken in? Because if it's just ever rising Govt taxes to preserve the status quo of the privileged few, then no, it's not viable.

I have some sympathy with Turner's remarks. Rant or not, hypocrite or not, there's a great deal of truth there. The fact that it's come from a member of Govt suggests that at least one recognises the damage that's being done. 

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Much of this depends on the direction the Island is being taken in by our politicos. Do they have a real plan? Or are they just hanging in on a wing and a prayer, buffeted by fallout from the various debt situations and whatever will be imposed on us following Brexit that we have no say in?

And the question of course, can we, the population financially afford whatever direction we are being taken in? Because if it's just ever rising Govt taxes to preserve the status quo of the privileged few, then no, it's not viable.

I have some sympathy with Turner's remarks. Rant or not, hypocrite or not, there's a great deal of truth there. The fact that it's come from a member of Govt suggests that at least one recognises the damage that's being done. 

No, they don't have a plan. I'm tempted to ask how could they have a plan? The MHKs are a collection of independent representatives, each with his or her own manifesto.  The CM does not put forward a plan, simply picks an administration based on ... what? Political expediency, I suspect, keeping his friends close and his enemies closer. 

They could at the very least produce a policy document that is a superset of their manifestos, something that they could put before the electorate as an agenda for which we could hold them to democratic account. But they don't even do that. There is no democratic accountability.

Their sole purpose, as far as I can tell, is to try to stay in office `and to protect any vested interest that they see fit to protect for reasons of mutual benefit.

Government funded radio station accuses shareholder in rival radio station it's competing with for advertising clients of having a rant against its paymasters on social media in an attempt to embarrass him? No news here really is there? Just shows you how you can abuse your position when your a state sponsored media outlet. 

1 minute ago, guzzi said:

No, they don't have a plan. I'm tempted to ask how could they have a plan? The MHKs are a collection of independent representatives, each with his or her own manifesto.  The CM does not put forward a plan, simply picks an administration based on ... what? Political expediency, I suspect, keeping his friends close and his enemies closer. 

They could at the very least produce a policy document that is a superset of their manifestos, something that they could put before the electorate as an agenda for which we could hold them to democratic account. But they don't even do that. There is no democratic accountability.

Their sole purpose, as far as I can tell, is try to stay in office `and to protect any vested interest that they see fit to protect for reasons of mutual benefit.

Agreed. MHK's here are elected on the tiniest of majorities. As a result they are consumed by the minutiae of there constituents who complain to their MHK at the drop of a hat and as a result nothing ever gets moved on or changed..

1 minute ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

Government funded radio station accuses shareholder in rival radio station it's competing with for advertising clients of having a rant on social media in an attempt to embarrass him? No news here really is there? Just shows you how you can abuse your position when your a state sponsored media outlet. 

I think his comments are newsworthy given that he is a MLC. Nobody forced him to say it and he hasn't felt inclined to retract. If they have simply publicised what he published in the first place and clearly stands by, how is he embarrassed?

Just now, woolley said:

I think his comments are newsworthy given that he is a MLC. Nobody forced him to say it and he hasn't felt inclined to retract. If they have simply publicised what he published in the first place and clearly stands by, how is he embarrassed?

Juan won't be embarrassed as he's pretty fearless on social media and doesn't give a toss. Funny it's only been reported by MR (funded by the government he is criticizing) and not on IOM Newspapers or anywhere else first. Looks like the taxpayer bankrolled government mouthpiece fancied putting a swift boot in to me. 

8 minutes ago, guzzi said:

No, they don't have a plan. I'm tempted to ask how could they have a plan? Etc

There is also the fact that so much now depends upon Brexit. For which the UK has no plan and around which there is very little agreement.

One thing is clear. The island currently employs 24 full-time MHKs at a basic price equivalent to appx 12 MPs IIRC. For a population size which would barely qualify for a single MP. That's bonkers.

12 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Agreed. MHK's here are elected on the tiniest of majorities. As a result they are consumed by the minutiae of there constituents who complain to their MHK at the drop of a hat and as a result nothing ever gets moved on or changed..

It would help if we had a joined up government, aiming at the same goal and not just the goal of screwing over everyone to support the PS pension liability and near half a billion MUA debt. It's surprising how little power our politicians seem to have over the Civil Service, who run rampant, controlling massive resources against the population to justify their salaries and positions!

I'm beginning to sense that there could be a larger public backlash to come, which may get us deeper into the mire.   

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It would help if we had a joined up government, aiming at the same goal and not just the goal of screwing over everyone to support the PS pension liability and near half a billion MUA debt. It's surprising how little power our politicians seem to have over the Civil Service, who run rampant, controlling massive resources against the population to justify their salaries and positions!

I'm beginning to sense that there could be a larger public backlash to come, which may get us deeper into the mire.   

I agree and I support every word Turner has said. The biggest problem with the IOM is a lot of public sector wankers who have milked it dry for their own benefit and who are now lining up (and fully expect) to feed of its corpse. I wouldn't recommend anyone sets up a business here either these days given the escalating costs, the amount of pointless red tape just to keep people in jobs, and the constant public sector arse kissing you're required to do to achieve anything. I also agree there's a big public backlash coming (hopefully). 

Our "national" status and its political and Govt payroll has never been affordable without resorting to brigandry or tax games. The last "funding" was withdrawn (to put some context on this; next year will be 10 years since the VAT reduction. Had the overpayment continued we would have been in receipt of 10 x £200m extra during that period. Christ alone knows what they could have squandered that on, but the PS pensions wouldn't have been so much of a concern).

It's time the delusion ended. Because the funding definitely has. 

1 minute ago, woolley said:

Do you think we can have a thread without this? Nobody can assert this with any authority at all.

It's clearly extremely relevant to what happens next on the IOM. Indeed the offshores may even factor - whether directly or indirectly. So - to ignore Brexit would be utterly stupid. It's a great big looming unknown. Those supporting it have chosen uncertainty.

All of the reporting points to the lack of a plan being a clear fact - all sides involved are sending out the same signals. Indeed Britain very clearly voted for a no-actual-plan outcome. We know this because no plan was attached to the proposal.

Archived