MLC Rant - says Manx Radio.

woolley

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

The UK is going to do tremendously outside of the EU and we're going to be right there with them

If the UK has a business model fully outside of the EU then it will likely involve adopting and taking over much the IOM's business model.

Where as the increasingly likely EEA style Brexit could very well now involve agreeing to rein-in the offshores. Certainly there will be significant UK concessions and a deal which is much less attractive (to the IOM) than the UK's EU membership. It certainly seems unlikely to replicate P3. Any deal is going to be squarely focused on London. The future of the IOM is not going to be protected in any negotiation.

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree and I support every word Turner has said. The biggest problem with the IOM is a lot of public sector wankers who have milked it dry for their own benefit and who are now lining up (and fully expect) to feed of its corpse. I wouldn't recommend anyone sets up a business here either these days given the escalating costs, the amount of pointless red tape just to keep people in jobs, and the constant public sector arse kissing you're required to do to achieve anything. I also agree there's a big public backlash coming (hopefully). 

Well said, it's utterly horrendous trying to do business here

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Not completely accurate, the Programme for Government was published in Jan this year. https://www.gov.im/news/2017/jan/10/programme-for-government-published/

Capture.JPG

This 'Programme For Government' is not a proper plan - it's an airy, fairy aspirational fantasy wish list

@ Pongo: If the UK has a business model fully outside of the EU then it will likely involve adopting and taking over much the IOM's business model.

I think WTO and fully outside would be far better for both the UK and the IOM. Just needs balls but, of course, they are in short supply. The IOM will always find niche markets which would see us nicely if only our liabilities were in kilter with what they should be for our size. Whether we can do well enough to cover the crazy pension debt too is moot.

36 minutes ago, hboy said:

Well he's probably painfully aware of who the real pricks are who run this place. I would suggest like many he's probably now totally given up even believing that change is even possible of happening so a nice public rant is in order. This Island is fucked to almost everyone but the piggies at the helm high up within the Civil Service who are now just hell bent on extracting as much can as they can for themselves before the last penny is gone. 

That was tongue in cheek if I'm honest, more on the point that our governmental framework wouldn't allow him to even if he wanted to change things and ranting on FB is probably the best we can hope for with the current electorate. Of course I don't believe he actually does want change. He's just rattling the cage on his way out for the sheer divilment of it, and who can blame him. I would if I were in his position, not that I ever would be. 

1 hour ago, Aristotle said:

I agree about these big retail businesses being allowed in with 0% tax. I don't think they should be allowed that. The 0% corporation tax should only apply to services businesses, not to UK retail.

Major retail pays tax at 10%. I think it was Eddie Teare's penultimate budget.

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

But can the latter generate enough to support the former? It's not a given.

An economy largely predicated on laughably low tax (if you're one of them) for the wealthy, zero tax for companies largely owned by the wealthy and operated for the wealthy and the direct return of money to the wealthy  (in landowners) all further predicated on the assurance that some of this wealth will then trickle down to the bottom-feeders; and all ultimately funded by a VAT overpayment that no longer exists, doesn't sound very sustainable to me.

Particularly when those bottom-feeders are now expected to part with more of their crumbs to pay for £4.0BN-worth of Utility debt and Pension liability?

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

if only our liabilities were in kilter with what they should be for our size

The smaller a population and therefore economy, the relatively more expensive it will be to operate. It's incredible that people don't understand this. Small government is inherently and inevitably costly.

Imagine if Rutland wanted to be an independent. People would rightly consider them mad. And yet they are better placed in terms of transport, communications etc. 

44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's been pretty obvious for a while, so if he's only just realised that, he's even stupider than we think he is.  I get the impression that he's only done the bare minimum as an MLC - for a while he didn't even take on any Departmental roles.  It's not like he's been a Peter Karran, endlessly criticising and analysing what was going wrong.  He's only complaining about the gravy train now he's about to be thrown off it. 

If there's one thing he's not, it's stupid. The archetypal Manx career politician from day one, even the old Manx mafia have nothing on his effort to reward ratio. Only his namesake has surpassed him for cunning and calculation, and that's only because he's a better actor. Successful businessman who's also been paid by us to do very little for a nice big slice, and he literally doesn't care what we think (see published photos of first class travel and champaign living for ref.). He's played it better than most. We should be in awe. Some are. 

I have to deal with him sometimes and I know some people who literally hate him with a passion. I don't. We are diametrically opposed politically, but I can't blame him for setting his sights on an opportunity from a young age and going for it. As Peter Karran said to me and no doubt others, he's a bastard, but at least he's an honest bastard, he doesn't try to hide it ;-)

Archived