MLC Rant - says Manx Radio.

woolley

My own take is that the politicos thought that with statehood they could set their own financial agenda and cash in.

All well and good but they also added layers and layers of overgraded (and thus over-paid and over-pensioned CS/PS) to support the statehood delusion. While the VAT scam was supporting it all they got away with it. But once they were well and truly rumbled they should have cut their cloth accordingly.

They didn't, probably fearing being chucked off the gravy train by disgruntled and redundant CS/PS, so now the white elephants are coming home to roost....

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

Government funded radio station accuses shareholder in rival radio station it's competing with for advertising clients of having a rant against its paymasters on social media in an attempt to embarrass him? No news here really is there? Just shows you how you can abuse your position when your a state sponsored media outlet. 

And if they'd have reported nothing you would accuse a state owned radio station of purposely not reporting an attack on government by one of government.

Calling someone thick is the usual favourite alongside calling someone mad to try to marginalise or ridicule them. He was no fool. I wish I'd listened to him years ago when he told me to not stick my head out, to bide my time before coming out with any political views or they'd destroy my career to stop me. I didn't listen, he was right, and they did just that. Tossers. I wish he was still an MHK.

15 minutes ago, notwell said:

And if they'd have reported nothing you would accuse a state owned radio station of purposely not reporting an attack on government by one of government.

They could have reported it without turning it into a complete hit piece, though, I suppose. Calling it a "rant", for example. Seems rather unprofessional, even if I do think what he said was a load of bollocks.

7 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Hmmmm. Is this how things are in reality, though? Like Manx Gas, are there not special arrangements with "special" companies?

I don't think they are classed as "retail" if you check the practice note. They are utilities. It would only come within the scope of retail if they made more than £500k profit from appliances or any other incidental "stuff".

10 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

Calling someone thick is the usual favourite alongside calling someone mad to try to marginalise or ridicule them. He was no fool. I wish I'd listened to him years ago when he told me to not stick my head out, to bide my time before coming out with any political views or they'd destroy my career to stop me. I didn't listen, he was right, and they did just that. Tossers. I wish he was still an MHK.

He still seems to be about as I've bumped into him a few times. He needed to get out of politics though and I'm sure the current sad state of Lib Van was part of that. It's a party beyond hope that has lost Peters independent spark. It's almost the Manx Tory party now pushing an anti abortion agenda from KB and putting up prescription charges for old folk. I'm sure he's glad to be out at at least he was an honorable man who was true to his word. 

Mr Turner seems a little confused in at least one respect - he suggests that civil servants are applying rules that they've made up; well no civil servant would have any success in applying any rule that hadn't been approved by Tynwald. Of which Mr. Turner is a member. Perhaps he really needs to pay a little more attention to the Order Paper each month.

7 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

yes some tough calls would have to be made but from a purely debating point of view would/should the IOM give up its national status if it meant better Government and services from across?

YESSIR.

Archived