MLC Rant - says Manx Radio.

woolley

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-launches-furious-online-rant/

Makes many good points but then goes on to say:

"All in all the bad Government policies have created this situation and a failing to see that the Isle of Man detaching itself further from the uk, I believe has brought more harm than good. Look at the huge pension black hole, the massive NHS debt they can't possibly support. If the IOM was a closer part of the UK it would be allocated funding from London as rural areas are supported and you know what the Government policy is for at least the 5 years. With devolution there's no reason why the IOM could not maintain control of key economic policies. But also we'd have an MP as 80,000 is a constituency size under the new proposals."

How many Manx would want to be part of the UK?

If we were, he's also suggesting we hang on to the expensive trappings of government here. Cake and eat it?

Has he "done a Ratner"?

ETA: On reflection he appears to have advocated "further detachment from the UK" and then given a list of reasons for actually joining the UK. All in one paragraph.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, woolley said:

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-launches-furious-online-rant/

Makes many good points but then goes on to say:

"All in all the bad Government policies have created this situation and a failing to see that the Isle of Man detaching itself further from the uk, I believe has brought more harm than good. Look at the huge pension black hole, the massive NHS debt they can't possibly support. If the IOM was a closer part of the UK it would be allocated funding from London as rural areas are supported and you know what the Government policy is for at least the 5 years. With devolution there's no reason why the IOM could not maintain control of key economic policies. But also we'd have an MP as 80,000 is a constituency size under the new proposals."

How many Manx would want to be part of the UK?

If we were, he's also suggesting we hang on to the expensive trappings of government here. Cake and eat it?

Has he "done a Ratner"?

I believe better Government could be introduced if the IOM were part of the UK. The archaic, expensive and ignorance led current set up could be done away with.

Of course all that comes at a price, that priice being a surrender of Manx "independence". Is this acceptable?... pride, as they say, comes before a fall

The UK won't live with 0/10 corporation tax, or tax caps for the wealthy.

So there would be a choice to be made between improved governance and the preservation of 'our' economic model. I guess how you feel about that choice depends on how much the current setup benefits you, or on the strength of your nationalist views. 

I'm neither inordinately wealthy nor am a I Manx, so I think the option of closer union with a neighbouring nation is worth exploring. Yes, the boat in the morning is an option, and one I am not dismissing.

7 minutes ago, guzzi said:

The UK won't live with 0/10 corporation tax, or tax caps for the wealthy.

So there would be a choice to be made between improved governance and the preservation of 'our' economic model. I guess how you feel about that choice depends on how much the current setup benefits you, or on the strength of your nationalist views. 

I'm neither inordinately wealthy nor am a I Manx, so I think the option of closer union with a neighbouring nation is worth exploring. Yes, the boat in the morning is an option, and one I am not dismissing.

well I am manx,but we would be MUCH better of with one MP than the 24!? chickens with no heads we have at present.

He's always been a sort of Manx Unionist. Union Mills's answer to Jacob Rees-Mogg. 

My immediate thought is that if we were to apply to be an English County, yes they'd probably eat the pensions black hole, reduce the number CS here, take on the NHS costs, but with it goes the flexibility of setting our own taxes, our own polices. Doesn't half our jobs in e-gaming, banking, insurance etc go with them? So we'll be a depopulating Island with loads of unemployed and new employers put off by the costs of getting here. 

19 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

If he's unhappy with the situation he should get himself into government and try to make a difference.

Oh right.

How many years has he been happy to take the salary and pension whilst running his own business?

3 minutes ago, twinkle said:

well I am manx,but we would be MUCH better of with one MP than the 24!? chickens with no heads we have at present.

That's not quite what he's saying is it? Looks like he sees Tynwald as a sort of mini Holyrood free to carry on wasting money but with the UK footing the bill.

I think there is every chance the UK would say "thanks, but no thanks."

Juan Turner is 100% correct in everything he said in his article. But like he said ‘it’s like swimming in treacle’. The Chief Minister will not acknowledge the article or rant, its water off a farmers back. Even if these thoughts are amplified by over 1,000, the CM, other politicos and civil service will still pretend to be deaf, so again nothing will be acknowledged. The Manx Gas issue, will never be properly addressed, I personally don’t think any of the politicos or HQ have the will or the inclination to upset the apple cart. I don’t think that ‘man of the people’ Rob Callister is capable of solving the problem either. What’s required is Government being totally brutal, and if it upsets the company, tough. They could always sue - as most people know, the only winners will be the courts and lawyers, and it will take years to resolve.

But it's so muddled:

On the one hand:

All in all the bad Government policies have created this situation and a failing to see that the Isle of Man detaching itself further from the uk, I believe has brought more harm than good.

But then on the other:

If the IOM was a closer part of the UK it would be allocated funding from London as rural areas are supported and you know what the Government policy is for at least the 5 years. With devolution there's no reason why the IOM could not maintain control of key economic policies.

So it's very difficult to determine what he is actually advocating.

Archived