Brexit Is Reversible...

La Colombe

14 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

If brexit is reversed and brexiteers take to the streets in protest i just hope the constabulary are there to smash a few heads woody.

the last time someone in parliament went against the people they had their head chopped off.....

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, guzzi said:

We will see, but I think my money is on the Brexit terms taking a form that preserves the UK's relationship with the EU exactly as is for a lengthy transitional period, and almost exactly as is thereafter. 

Because that makes no sense, a second referendum on the terms would provide a relatively orderly way of abandoning the whole farce. The hardline brexiteers would be wrong footed, as they would probably have to campaign for a rejection on the basis that the terms were merely virtual EU membership, but at that stage, with article 50 triggered and time running out, there would be no chance to negotiate anything else and crashing out would be the outcome they would have to try to sell to the electorate.

then you have lost your money, no crashing out would happen, most trade is under wto already....

the losers are clutching at straws, everyone else has moved on including the 27......

13 minutes ago, woolley said:

Why would anyone want it stopped? Like getting to the exit of the House of Horrors and turning around to go back in. Oh and wouldn't those Horrors just love that!!

We have already agreed in previous topics that Brexit will lead to a sustained period of significantly underperforming UK economic growth, just some disagreement on how long this will last.

1 hour ago, guzzi said:

There is to be a parliamentary debate on 11 December in response to the petition calling for a second referendum when the terms of UK exit are known.  Entirely logical in my view that the government return to those who mandated Brexit in the first place for endorsement of the negotiating outcome.  Given the internal party divisions, perhaps, just perhaps ....

84% of the electorate voted for candidates standing on a Brexit platform at the election. How many times does it have to be confirmed? Oh I forgot. It's the EU, so as many times as it takes to get the desired answer.

1 minute ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

We have already agreed in previous topics that Brexit will lead to a sustained period of significantly underperforming UK economic growth, just some disagreement on how long this will last.

Yes. And the more of this kind of nonsense we get, the longer it WILL last.

2 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

until we are free of the eu.......

Just now, Bobbie Bobster said:

That's as good an argument as any for knocking it on the head, though.

Not at all. Once the uncertainty is out of the way (and it could have been by now, incidentally) it will be up and away. European countries will not allow their trade to suffer because of Brussels if only the UK has some balls and calls EU bluff.

Looks like we're back to "Oh it's too difficult, we can't arrange our own affairs, we really are totally shit and we have to have an external bureaucracy and court to do everything for us..."

I suspect many remainers voted Labour because they preferred Labour's vision of

1 hour ago, woolley said:

84% of the electorate voted for candidates standing on a Brexit platform at the election. How many times does it have to be confirmed? Oh I forgot. It's the EU, so as many times as it takes to get the desired answer.

Twice. Once on the principle, and again when possessed of the actual terms of exit.

Archived