Supertour 2018

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be stuff at the Museum, and Castletown Square by Us. 

BAC are meant to be over in April, using the same format as us, there or thereabouts.

Porsche Club GB over 18th to 20th May

S9 invariably do a museum visit, and will be on the one way system opening on the Friday. 

I remember being involved with the Porsche Club GB who held their rally over here a couple of times in the 90's. They had a huge number of cars with their owners and friends and they seemed to have a good time although there seemed to be very little on offer here. There were complaints that cafes, pubs etc didn't seem keen on serving outside of certain times of the day, probably due to there being no co-ordination with them by the organisers. I did feel a little embarrassed by our facilities at the time for such an event, there is a market for this kind of thing to become a major part of the island's tourism offer. 

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I remember being involved with the Porsche Club GB who held their rally over here a couple of times in the 90's. They had a huge number of cars with their owners and friends and they seemed to have a good time although there seemed to be very little on offer here. There were complaints that cafes, pubs etc didn't seem keen on serving outside of certain times of the day, probably due to there being no co-ordination with them by the organisers. I did feel a little embarrassed by our facilities at the time for such an event, there is a market for this kind of thing to become a major part of the island's tourism offer. 

The most they brought was 250 cars. 1998 If I recall correctly. They still sell out every year. 

I agree with issues around what we have to offer. Things are slowly on the up, but we need to keep raising the bar.

Well I am 100% behind this and I wish Derek and his pals every success with it.

It is embarrassing to be Manx sometimes and especially at times like this, when so few people have the belief that they actually matter and should be consulted on any "new" event and expect answers to every stupid question they ask.

The childishness of some of the comments is unbelievable, even "x in man"s post about drumming up business for the hospital.

We need new events here and lots of them. The TT is not around for ever and anything that brings our lovely island to attention of thousands or millions of people has to a good thing.

The last group I saw on youtube and TV being filmed on the Sloc got tons of interest and I would imagine brought in £££s.

This latest one will no doubt bring even more money in.

Does this sort of thing really impact on posters' lives that much ? 

4 hours ago, Kipper99 said:

Apart from your gold plated pension and lump sum, which we continue to pay for...

To be fair, this thread isn't about Derek's past or future employment with government. He is a private individual in this case. It would be more reasonable to stick to the thread rather than as a vehicle for personal attacks.

A press release from time to time, to forewarn what sort of numbers could be expected would be appreciated, is it likely to be 100? 200? Hopefully, CC Roberts has the personpower to police it being as short-staffed as he is.

Little point in moaning about any probable disruption.

If it works and doesn't cost the taxpayer a single, snivelling penny I will be the first to admit I was wrong. 

5 hours ago, Kevmeister said:

I wonder how much it cost to drag that Ferrari out of a wall on Peel Road and treat the passengers and do the investigations when that crash around the rally happened? 

Pretty much the same as if you were dragging a Citroen Picasso out, I should think. But hey, I'm no expert. 

Derek, it would seem that many people think that you are being deliberately vague with some of your answers to their questions, and are reading into that as you have something to hide. As I am sure you have nothing to hide can you answer the following questions?

1)   – How much are you paying for the Road Closure of the Sloc?

2)   – If a vehicle crashes on a closed road who will pay for the cost of any subsequent investigation, medical costs, repairs to the road etc?

3)   – If additional Roads Policing is required during the 5 days e.g. due to complaints from the general public about the standard of driving etc who will pay these costs?

I appreciate that you might claim commercial confidentiality over some of this, but ball park figures for question 1 would help to gather support for your event. Don’t forget that an FOI request after the event will almost certainly answer most of these questions.

Will

Archived