Win a house competition!

Last Ten

The FB group has a number of members highlighting that the terms and conditions have varied considerably from the initial terms that offered a full refund to all participants. I don't think that the disclaimer in the terms about changes to the T&Cs will be strong enough to insulate the promoter from further legal involvement - there have been a number of past legal actions under English law against promoters who changed T&Cs that were later ruled as unfair, so there is precedent around. Be interesting to see how this one progresses, as on the FB group, it says that some participants have involved the Police. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

I read the t&c's for this comp when it was promoted. They were absolute billshit with a right reserved to change the rules of the comp as and when the promoter felt like it. It was always highly unlikely the house as ever going to be offered up. Entrants were mugs.

It was worth £20. Just goes to show you that in some price brackets you can’t even give away a house in the IOM. 

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It was worth £20. Just goes to show you that in some price brackets you can’t even give away a house in the IOM. 

It was only worth £20 if the promoter was unequivocally bound to give the house away. You could have driven a coach and horses through those t&c's. Unfortunately as with most things in life people didn't stop to read the small print. 

I've just read through the terms and conditions and they don't seem to have breached them even if they had that would be a civil issue. No theft has occurred it clearly says if 45000 tickets aren't sold by 31/5/18 then the promoter can decide to give the prize as cash. Just seems people are unhappy they didn't win. 

15 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I've just read through the terms and conditions and they don't seem to have breached them even if they had that would be a civil issue. No theft has occurred it clearly says if 45000 tickets aren't sold by 31/5/18 then the promoter can decide to give the prize as cash. Just seems people are unhappy they didn't win. 

Seems that some posting on facebook are reading the T&Cs and stating that if the house was not given as the prize then they could get refunds on the basis the raffle had been cancelled. I don't think that is correct as cancellation would mean that neither the house or cash prize was given. In this case the cash prize appears to have been so the raffle was not cancelled so no right to refund

51 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Seems that some posting on facebook are reading the T&Cs and stating that if the house was not given as the prize then they could get refunds on the basis the raffle had been cancelled. I don't think that is correct as cancellation would mean that neither the house or cash prize was given. In this case the cash prize appears to have been so the raffle was not cancelled so no right to refund

Some on Facebook are posting screenshots of the original T&Cs that appear to promise refunds if insufficient numbers were sold. They have also posted shots after the T&Cs were changed at a later date (May ?) that have different arrangements. Their issue appears to be with the changes of the conditions, something which has some past legal precedent, so it will be an interesting outcome.

5 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Some on Facebook are posting screenshots of the original T&Cs that appear to promise refunds if insufficient numbers were sold. They have also posted shots after the T&Cs were changed at a later date (May ?) that have different arrangements. Their issue appears to be with the changes of the conditions, something which has some past legal precedent, so it will be an interesting outcome.

The only screenshot I could see relating to a refund was if the raffle was cancelled and it appears not to have been.  The draw took place with the cash prize as per the latest T&C's. It is hard to really comment as I could only see extracts from the original T&Cs and not the whole document. There are various allegations T&Cs were breached but difficult to comment on without specific knowledge of what took place.

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

The only screenshot I could see relating to a refund was if the raffle was cancelled and it appears not to have been.  The draw took place with the cash prize as per the latest T&C's. It is hard to really comment as I could only see extracts from the original T&Cs and not the whole document. There are various allegations T&Cs were breached but difficult to comment on without specific knowledge of what took place.

The guy running the page posted the terms and conditions I am guessing they were the ones that were originally put out

8 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Who is going to launch a legal challenge as they lost £20 ? 

11 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Some on Facebook are posting screenshots of the original T&Cs that appear to promise refunds if insufficient numbers were sold. 

It swings on the meaning of "insufficient" in this context. Is it: Insufficient to award the house as the prize or insufficient to hold a draw at all, even for a lower value cash equivalent? As these levels are not spelt out in the T & Cs there is not enough information to judge.

Archived