Win a house competition!

Last Ten

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my view of the events, and having bought a ticket:

The T&C’s were quite clear that if all the tickets weren’t sold, then the prize would be a cash prize instead consisting of the total amount raised from the tickets minus costs etc which would be audited.

The T&C’s also clearly stated the process for the draw to take place in that it would be witnessed by those with no vested interested (I.e those who hadn’t bought a ticket) and an accountant and lawyer.

What the organiser seems to be saying is that all those conditions were ONLY if the house was the prize. As it’s money then she has done something completely different.

Earlier on this year she stated that nearly 15,000 tickets had been sold. Come to the draw and it’s gone down to 6,500 - she alleges that the rest were not paid for (it was weird that you got the ticket but then had to pay separately into a bank account).

The draw then took place, seemingly not with an accountant or lawyer, but some friends of hers or a few other ticket holders. The winning ticket was picked by her sister who was in the U.K. who used a random number generator - the process being done via a Skype link! Who was watching her sister making sure all was above board.

And finally, despite the T&C’s making perfectly clear that by entering the competition it allowed them to give your full name and town etc if you won, the winner was simply announced as “Sarah from the Isle of Man” who wants to remain anonymous.

So whilst it maybe appears that we are all “sore losers”, personally all I want clarifying is:

Was the draw done in accordance with the T&C’s, and if not, was it a valid draw?

As per the T&C’s, someone (an accountant or lawyer) confirming they have audited the entries and that there was only 6,500 paid ticket holders, plus what “expenses” were kept by the organiser thus working out what the prize total was?

The winners full name and town to ensure that they are a real person and not someone “made up” who doesn’t exist or a friend of the organiser.

If that is all OK then I don’t have a problem.  Yes the T&C’s were very woolly and yes when entering something like this you have to take a risk, but it still has to be run and drawn above board - and at th moment it doesn’t look like it has been.

7 hours ago, andrew said:

As per the T&C’s, someone (an accountant or lawyer) confirming they have audited the entries and that there was only 6,500 paid ticket holders, plus what “expenses” were kept by the organiser thus working out what the prize total was?

Some of the most crooked, nasty, bent and greedy people I have ever come across have been accountants and lawyers. But that's by the way,

If someone won the house they wouldn't be able to claim anonymity so I don't see why they should for the alternative cash prize.

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Some of the most crooked, nasty, bent and greedy people I have ever come across have been accountants and lawyers. But that's by the way,

If someone won the house they wouldn't be able to claim anonymity so I don't see why they should for the alternative cash prize.

Good point!

On 6/16/2018 at 3:04 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I won a Sarah once. Wasn't worth the 6 vodka and cokes entry money.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:48 PM, CharlieBrown said:

Yuck, just soooooooooo rapey.

Yeah, maybe...but it's a bit late for me to press charges now I think.

14 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

Oh you got raped, soz suppose it explains the constant boozing to suppress the pain of being you.

Could be worse... he could be you

The promoter of this should be in trouble with the gambling supervision commission. 

From the paper, looked like she had no license and therefore she wasn't allowed to sell tickets to locals, which clearly she has done.

All very amateurish.

10 hours ago, b4mbi said:

The promoter of this should be in trouble with the gambling supervision commission. 

From the paper, looked like she had no license and therefore she wasn't allowed to sell tickets to locals, which clearly she has done.

All very amateurish.

lessons will be learned,     nice rack too.

Archived