Win a house competition!

Last Ten

10 hours ago, b4mbi said:

The promoter of this should be in trouble with the gambling supervision commission. 

From the paper, looked like she had no license and therefore she wasn't allowed to sell tickets to locals, which clearly she has done.

All very amateurish.

According to the email sent out, she wasn't allowed to promote the competition to locals. that's different to selling to locals

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, woolley said:

I think you organise something like this, or indeed take part in it, at your peril. Too much potential for recrimination.

At worse you lose £20. I really dont see what the issue is here. It’s just people pissed off that they didn’t actually get a house for only £20! 

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

At worse you lose £20. I really dont see what the issue is here. It’s just people pissed off that they didn’t actually get a house for only £20! 

I think people feel cheated for good reason

Far more to this than meets the eye ( in my opinion )

44 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I think people feel cheated for good reason

Far more to this than meets the eye ( in my opinion )

How so? She literally couldn’t give her house away so she came up with an alternative idea. Then she wasn't even strictly allowed to advertise the draw to IOM residents due to stupid Manx rules on lottery’s -  so it’s no surprise she didn’t get the required number of people interested in buying tickets really as she had little hope from day one. It’s not like she’s nicked the money. The cash prize is being handed out instead. 

It just shows you how doomed the IOM is. Can’t sell your house for multiple years, so you come up with a creative alternative idea/plan to shift it, then good old IOMG butts in to tell you that you can’t even advertise the idea/plan in the IOM (despite it being legal in the UK) as red tape smothers everything you do, so your target audience for your prize draw is now massively reduced - then it doesn’t all go to plan (no surprises there) and then every Manx crab on the island posts on social media that they think you’re a robbing bastard who has something to hide. It’s about par for the course in our totally screwed “freedom to flourish” Island. 

She should probably just have gone bankrupt I suppose and accepted her fate having not been able to sell her house despite our ‘successful’ economy for years and years as that’s what the ‘system’ clearly wanted to happen. 

17 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

How so? She literally couldn’t give her house away so she came up with an alternative idea. Then she wasn't even strictly allowed to advertise the draw to IOM residents due to stupid Manx rules on lottery’s -  so it’s no surprise she didn’t get the required number of people interested in buying tickets really as she had little hope from day one. It’s not like she’s nicked the money. The cash prize is being handed out instead. 

It just shows you how doomed the IOM is. Can’t sell your house for multiple years, so you come up with a creative alternative idea/plan to shift it, then good old IOMG butts in to tell you that you can’t even advertise the idea/plan in the IOM (despite it being legal in the UK) as red tape smothers everything you do, so your target audience for your prize draw is now massively reduced - then it doesn’t all go to plan (no surprises there) and then every Manx crab on the island posts on social media that they think you’re a robbing bastard who has something to hide. It’s about par for the course in our totally screwed “freedom to flourish” Island. 

She should probably just have gone bankrupt I suppose and accepted her fate having not been able to sell her house despite our ‘successful’ economy for years and years as that’s what the ‘system’ clearly wanted to happen. 

You seem to have spectacularly missed the point here SoS. It's not that "somebody won something" it is the manner in which it was conducted.

16 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You seem to have spectacularly missed the point here SoS. It's not that "somebody won something" it is the manner in which it was conducted.

Not really. It’s the typical Manx problem of people being pissed off that they didn’t get something (a house), for nothing (£20). That’s all. 

We bought 3 tickets, we are confused over the way its been handled, Facebook page was pulled, winner listed on website only, only first name not full name of winner despite the t&c's saying the winner will have no anonymity. If Sarah from IOM has won then perhaps they could have this all confirmed by speaking to one of the local news outlets, they can confirm identity  but obviously not publish it, at the moment there is no proof that 'Sarah' won, If Sarah has won then living on the IOM she'll know that everyone will find out in the end anyway.

I'm a little pissed off, it all seems a little underhand when it could of been handled completely differently.

7 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Not really. It’s the typical Manx problem of people being pissed off that they didn’t get something (a house), for nothing (£20). That’s all. 

You’re weird. It’s the greedy Manx people and the incompetent Manx government to blame! Is there nothing you won’t twist to fit your cynicism, even other people’s cynicism. 

They’re not moaning that they did not win, they’re moaning about the lack of transparency and the suspicion that no one won. They seem valid concerns. 

She was well within her rights to do what she did, the t & c's allowed her to change the rules as she wished. It doesn't make it morally right but people should really read the rules in these scenarios where fantastic opportunities present themselves.

As for her general inability to sell her property the problem is an age old one and quite simple...she is asking for more than anyone is prepared to pay for it. 

Archived