William Dunlop...

TheTeapot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah LC, full of empathy as usual. I agree this is a very selfish sport and should be for single people with no responsibilities, there are quite a few dangerous activities I indulged in but when I became a father I put those pursuits away and put my family first.

17 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Another justgiving page :whatever:

13 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Another memorial lap :whatever:

and yet another cheap shot at a sad time for William's family and friends and those who had only  met him,  like me .

Not a cheap shot by any means just a differing opinion to yours on a sport that is contested by selfish people, operated by amateurs and fawned over by naive people who think that something that is associated and ingrained with their place of birth is beyond derision.

A very nice man has died in a self inflicted incident - his choice not mine, I think road racing is a primitive waste of humans, my opinion not his..........

Very sad for family and friends but also not unexpected that if you road race at some point you will become another fatality statistic. The Dunlop family may be one of the most famous and successful names, in terms of wins, in road racing but it has taken a heavy toll with three of the family having lost their lives doing the sport in a little over 18 years.

As an outsider looking in it always seems such a selfish sport to pursue when you have a pregnant partner and/or young children as the chances of not coming back or coming back with life changing injuries is pretty high compared to most other sports.

26 minutes ago, paswt said:

and yet another cheap shot at a sad time for William's family and friends and those who had only  met him,  like me .

I have met him and his father and his uncle. But I don’t like to talk about it. 

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The Dunlop family has paid more than their share for their involvement in the sport.

It's not so much a sport, it's more of a death cult. Listen to Tim Glover recalling a memory with the same old tired cliches that we hear year in, year out. Just weird. Nothing else that claimed the lives of so many young men would be tolerated. Yet we still send them into our schools to indoctrinate tomorrow's generations and pat ourselves on the back about how successfully we've organised things and how much money we've made out of it. Very depressing. 

Archived