William Dunlop...

TheTeapot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, woolley said:

It's an analogy to express how that community feels about its sport. Obviously. It is a part of their being.

What does that mean ? "it is part of their being" that is just another shite Tim Gloveresque platitude - if people like and insist on riding very fast motorbikes, very fast, on narrow roads and end up dead that's absolutely fine, if it's their choice and if being dead does not adversely impact many others, but the selfishness should not be ignored (unborn child, other child, spouse etc) 

I cannot understand, agree, support or feel obliged to trot out needless hero worship on social media for anyone who makes the decision to participate.

2 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Yes it is. If you don't eat you die. If you don't drink you die. If you don't breathe you die. If you aren't allowed to race motorcycles you won't die. 

I've got bad news for you.  Life has a 100% mortality rate.  If you can't race bikes then something else may get you instead, like shoving chemicals up your beak or even just crossing the road. 

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

What does that mean ? "it is part of their being" that is just another shite Tim Gloveresque platitude - 

Actually, it’s too articulate and too memorable for Tim Glover.

5 hours ago, woolley said:

The people who do it. It's what they are. It is a part of their existence

It's not so much 'what they are', it's what they become, like drug or alcohol dependency. There is not an innate desire to race motorcycles but to a certain type of person they find it difficult to resist turning an interest or a trial into a dependency.

Of course, without other people having done it before them, they would not know to try it in the first place. So maybe some attraction of the 'Glamour' , machoism surrounding the early amateur level is what first draws them to this sport? Psycho Analysis required?

As to whether the State should intervene, juxtapose  'goose and golden'. That's what it is to us and that is the shame of it.

PS. It a very sad what has happened to this Family in particular and all others affected by our races.

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I've not read so much disgraceful and disrespectful bollocks on here for years.

There are plenty of threads to vent your spleen on motorcycling. This wasn't one of them.

It always happens though. Every single time.

24 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

There are plenty of threads to vent your spleen on motorcycling. This wasn't one of them.

Each to their own Albert

you love the racing but plenty dont

Very few on here will know WD so they can’t be expected to feel the same way as you 

Nobody has said anything bad about Willian, just questioned his entry to the race after what he said about putting his family first

Yoj need to take a look at how you and your ilk are seen by people outside of road racing 

RR is a hobby not a way of life and that hobby has a habit of turning bad and usually witnessed by the public be it live or on tv or other media

Everyond has a right to give their views on this whether you like those views or not

is that so bad ?

I had a love-hate with the racing during my professional career, but towards the end I ‘got it’, insofar as I developed a better understanding of why racers do it. I’d never describe them as ‘heroes’, but many of them are superhuman. On the ragged edge, where they live, fatalities are inevitable. Where I think there is a contention, is how road racing still permits it’s spectators to be in harms way. 

The Dunlops are a remarkable dynasty. They partake in one of the last, great gladiatorial spectacles on planet earth, and long may it continue.

I would ad that It’s actually very easy to isolate yourself from it if you don’t like it; I came out of hospital on the 27th May, and save for the sounds of bikes on the Mountain, the entire two weeks passed me by whilst I convalesced. 

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I had a love-hate with the racing during my professional career, but towards the end I ‘got it’, insofar as I developed a better understanding of why racers do it. I’d never describe them as ‘heroes’, but many of them are superhuman. On the ragged edge, where they live, fatalities are inevitable. Where I think there is a contention, is how road racing still permits it’s spectators to be in harms way. 

The Dunlops are a remarkable dynasty. They partake in one of the last, great gladiatorial spectacles on planet earth, and long may it continue.

I would ad that It’s actually very easy to isolate yourself from it if you don’t like it; I came out of hospital on the 27th May, and save for the sounds of bikes on the Mountain, the entire two weeks passed me by whilst I convalesced. 

That was the morphine though

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Err hang on. Did you start it? 

Archived