Well done all our A level students for getting all those As

gettafa

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio: Record results for Douglas High School

This is super news and it is especially wonderful that the Universities and all those vice-chancellors will be continuing to rake in lots of cash.

A captive and growing market indeed.

You have an A* in cynicism I see.

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio: Record results for Douglas High School

This is super news and it is especially wonderful that the Universities and all those vice-chancellors will be continuing to rake in lots of cash.

A captive and growing market indeed.

Yes let’s berate people for wanting to educate themselves. They might even go to Uni and see a bit of the world and not come back to this increasingly depressing Island that’s being held back be a heavy layer of civil servants who don’t have 4 o’levels to rub together but are robbing it blind. 

39 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes let’s berate people for wanting to educate themselves. They might even go to Uni and see a bit of the world and not come back to this increasingly depressing Island that’s being held back be a heavy layer of civil servants who don’t have 4 o’levels to rub together but are robbing it blind. 

You always manage to put your special bitter twist on a thing Mr Angry.

17 minutes ago, pongo said:

You always manage to put your special bitter twist on a thing Mr Angry.

I agree .Nobody was berating the kids, just the system that relies on our kids being clever

Big industry and big bucks( and that’s not for the kids either)

55 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

A fair post with a realistic perspective.

Yes, I know a few 6 figure senior civil servants who have been on the gravy train for over 40 years with less than a handful of O' levels or CSE equivalents.  If they were any good at their jobs it would be fair enough but they are as useless and ineffective in their careers as they were at school.)

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

A fair post with a realistic perspective.

Yes, I know a few 6 figure senior civil servants who have been on the gravy train for over 40 years with less than a handful of O' levels or CSE equivalents.  If they were any good at their jobs it would be fair enough but they are as useless and ineffective in their careers as they were at school.)

I can state now that that is bollocks

Nobody is getting a six figure sum without having a very minimum of 5 o levels or high gcses to even get on the ladder towards that figure.

How do people get these things into their heads ?

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I agree .Nobody was berating the kids, just the system that relies on our kids being clever

Big industry and big bucks( and that’s not for the kids either)

That was my angle. Although I had to laugh at the chap this morning on the radio who said he was expecting to fail them all but got two As and a B or whatever it was.

It is a huge industry and makes big bucks way beyond their worth for those involved. It is effectively a huge monopoly. For example, when they started charging there was a maximum charge and the Universities ranged their fees from Mudchester To Oxbridge, then they all just said bollox, we'll all charge the max.

Inevitably standards are going down (I see the standard of graduates over the last 20 years at my work). 

From a nation point of view, the system is shit (that is an educated technical assessment)

Just now, dilligaf said:

I can state now that that is bollocks

Nobody is getting a six figure sum without having a very minimum of 5 o levels or high gcses to even get on the ladder towards that figure.

How do people get these things into their heads ?

I get this into my head because I have followed their careers from age 5.

Mind you, they've followed mine too. Oh dear...

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Well, I am very proud parent whose youngest has an A*, an A and a B  and he didn't go to Douglas High. 

Your cynicism won't dent my smug self satisfaction!

He is also now decided to go for a 'proper' degree despite having had an unconditional offer since February for a very valid, but probably not very portable, degree.

The whole process is so much more about selling now than when I went to Uni. You are now woo'd,  given unconditional offers and a sweatshirt. It is business, but let's not allow that to denigrate the achievement of the exam results. 

I just hope that no one has been put off taking up a place because of the cost. The Govt. subs seem generous but only when compared with other Countries.

12,000 a year, not cheap and  not easy for all parents to come up with.

Full fees and maintenance grant in my day.

Archived