Well done all our A level students for getting all those As

gettafa

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s one of those questions that needs asking though. It is personal data; Name, qualifications, school attended....

So, we can’t publish the flower show, Royal, Southern or Laa Columb results, nor the TT, FoM, or Rally, or which Officer has been moved, promoted,  or got a commendation? Same with school sports, golf championship, sports reports...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sarcasm* Ahh, ok.

Surely most/all those in 'the BBC' saying this, along with this chap, are all under 40.

For well over 20 years I have seen a steady decline in the aptitude and ability of those graduating from university. 

On 8/16/2018 at 10:34 PM, yootalkin2me said:

It's not so much the system relying on kids being clever, quite the opposite in fact. The education system is merely a factory for churning out compliant, parrot fashion learning wage slaves.

An education qualification these days represents a level at which people are able regurgitate information they copied and pasted, much the same as HNCs, degrees etc. People are rarely able to actually do the job at the level they have qualificatiins for. I know plenty of people whom are very well qualified but have trouble tying their shoelaces (slight exaggeration there but you see my point).

I agree with that. I know people who got straight A*s all through school and then went on to get first class honours degrees and they are among the dumbest people I know. People shouldn't put so much of their esteem into these useless educational "achievements". Be true to yourself, value knowledge for its own sake, and you will be a happy person.

Edited to add: it's also true that there are civil servants on 70k+ salaries who barely even have a few O level passes.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

So, we can’t publish the flower show, Royal, Southern or Laa Columb results, nor the TT, FoM, or Rally, or which Officer has been moved, promoted,  or got a commendation? Same with school sports, golf championship, sports reports...

There is usually an implied, if not informed consent with those sort of things. A school or exam board releasing the details of minors to the press tho’...

I’d be interested to see a judgement on it. 

16 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

There is usually an implied, if not informed consent with those sort of things. A school or exam board releasing the details of minors to the press tho’...

I’d be interested to see a judgement on it. 

Yes GDPR requires informed consent. It will change a lot of these sort of things. 

15 minutes ago, Linz said:

Yes GDPR requires informed consent. It will change a lot of these sort of things. 

I don’t think the information commissioner shares your view.  As long as its regularly made clear and the data is published fairly ( alphabetically, not by grades ) and there is a system to seek opt out for good reason.

There seems to be an overriding obligation to provide important information about school performance.

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1135/publication-of-exam-results-by-schools-dpa-guidance.pdf

13 hours ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think the information commissioner shares your view.  As long as its regularly made clear and the data is published fairly ( alphabetically, not by grades ) and there is a system to seek opt out for good reason.

There seems to be an overriding obligation to provide important information about school performance.

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1135/publication-of-exam-results-by-schools-dpa-guidance.pdf

But what is the difference between that and hospital performance? We don’t publish the names of those who had successful or otherwise operations or treatment? 

Why should everyone get to know little Jimmys results?

10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

But what is the difference between that and hospital performance? We don’t publish the names of those who had successful or otherwise operations or treatment? 

Why should everyone get to know little Jimmys results?

Ask the Commissioner.

i fully agree we need controls against abuse of data, but I fear, that all too often, it’s an excuse for lack of transparency and secretivity scaups its thought that improves or strengthens the position of the data controller.

There are good, historic, common law reasons for patient and client confidentiality and client privilege.

There are other things that have been publicly available for years. I’m a believer in the dictum of no change without good reason and without legislation that is specific. As I pointed out the information falls into a very broad category that has been public until now.

You suggested implied consent by participating. I’m not sure that is consistent with your other approach for explicit, informed consent. It’s easy to deal with by T&C and entry rules.

The Commissioner seems to adopt my viewpoint as long as there’s a simple reasoned and proportionate opportunity to opt out. So if being listed might identify someone who is in hiding from an abusive parent, and being listed would out their location, but not just embarrassment at poor performance.

Its interesting stuff.

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Ask the Commissioner.

i fully agree we need controls against abuse of data, but I fear, that all too often, it’s an excuse for lack of transparency and secretivity scaups its thought that improves or strengthens the position of the data controller.

There are good, historic, common law reasons for patient and client confidentiality and client privilege.

There are other things that have been publicly available for years. I’m a believer in the dictum of no change without good reason and without legislation that is specific. As I pointed out the information falls into a very broad category that has been public until now.

You suggested implied consent by participating. I’m not sure that is consistent with your other approach for explicit, informed consent. It’s easy to deal with by T&C and entry rules.

The Commissioner seems to adopt my viewpoint as long as there’s a simple reasoned and proportionate opportunity to opt out. So if being listed might identify someone who is in hiding from an abusive parent, and being listed would out their location, but not just embarrassment at poor performance.

Its interesting stuff.

It certainly is. There’s a lot of panic on GDPR at the moment, which doubtless will settle down. For the record, I’m with you on this one John, but it’s a valuable debate.

just like the good ol’ Days eh!

It would be churlish indeed to start another thread in relation to today's GCSE results.

Anyway, well done kids for all the hard work and I hope everyone gets great results.

But I'll save you all that nail biting this morning - you all got grade A* passes with a smattering of As.

I'm over 90% or whatever sure of that.

Archived