Trouble at Okells

fredtosser

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Kopek said:

What is this beer stuff you keep talking about? Is it that elbows out, straight sided glass thing that [people talk about? A huge quantity of liquid with an unpleasant taste that takes time to get use to?

Why bother, there are French wines and vodkas that are much better means of getting drunk!!!

Mke, do a goood potato based vodka and show the HR and the other lot how it should be done.

Potato based is true Manx hills Methodist heritage. Get a Govt subsidy???

What ever happened to "Glenn Kella" in Sulby,  that where brewing Manx Whisky, are they still going ?

Glen Kella went bust I seem to remember and didn’t it go down to the high court in london something about trademark issues, wasn’t that Mr Dixon that owned and run it way back then, now the carvery chef at psm pavilion though I stand to be corrected.

35 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

What ever happened to "Glenn Kella" in Sulby,  that where brewing Manx Whisky, are they still going ?

Dear heavens above, that Glenn Kella "whiskey" was the pits, unless you were cleaning your paint brushes with it

8 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Glen Kella went bust I seem to remember and didn’t it go down to the high court in london something about trademark issues, wasn’t that Mr Dixon that owned and run it way back then, now the carvery chef at psm pavilion though I stand to be corrected.

They weren’t actually distilling whisky, they were filtering the colour out of it and calling it Manx Whisky (it was clear, just like Vodka). Allied Breweries took them to court - God knows why - for calling it “whisky”. It afterwards coninued as Manx Spirit. Personally I think Manx Firewater would have been more appropriate.

12 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Kella is still run by MD. They were bringing in scotch whisky and re-distilling and calling it Manx Whisky. The problem is that having done that, it failed to meet the accepted legal definition of said spirit. SWA (Scotch Whisky Assocation - think the NRA of the water of life) took them to court and won. So it became ManX Spirit. 

Their Bifrost Vodka is, I believe, redistilled cognac.

Archived