Trouble at Okells

fredtosser

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this beer stuff you keep talking about? Is it that elbows out, straight sided glass thing that [people talk about? A huge quantity of liquid with an unpleasant taste that takes time to get use to?

Why bother, there are French wines and vodkas that are much better means of getting drunk!!!

Mke, do a goood potato based vodka and show the HR and the other lot how it should be done.

Potato based is true Manx hills Methodist heritage. Get a Govt subsidy???

7 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

Not another room here for another Brewer not enough free houses H+B's have it sown up. Rob and Martin are struggling to survive , that's my opinion, they may say otherwise

Then a brew pub like the Shore? Rather than having just one ale you could brew a different one every two months?

Out of interest if the brewing does shift to the UK how would they get the old equipment out of the brewery since most of it was built into the site?  

25 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Then a brew pub like the Shore? Rather than having just one ale you could brew a different one every two months?

Out of interest if the brewing does shift to the UK how would they get the old equipment out of the brewery since most of it was built into the site?  

they won't need to , H&B  will sell it off as a brewery with a clause to say you aren't allowed to use it as a brewery. maybe turn some of the vats in to glamping pods.

4 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Lots of advice on here about brewing. The drinking equivalent of backseat driving?

The brewery needs to think about other than the beer. Such as managers with decency and charisma. Comfortable pubs where the toilets don't smell constantly of stale piss etc

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There are not enough beer drinkers, drinking enough to sustain three breweries I would have thought? We have seen prices rise and rise making the situation even worse. Add that to the fact that Okell's make great beer but have some abysmal pubs and you get the gist of what's wrong.

There are plenty of beer drinkers. ex-beer drinkers and potential beer drinkers. I live in Douglas and would love to have a 'local'. There are plenty of pubs but very few I want to spend much time in.

4 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Correct Max - H&B have ruined so many pubs. When I grew up the Royal George in Ramsey used to be thriving. One H&B makeover later and its a fun desert.

All of them. Soulless, empty, magnolia emulsion-washed boxes. Hollow sounding and devoid of any sort of character. And for the most part, now devoid of a lot of customers for whom it's more affordable to sit and drink at home.

Archived