Rob Callister

La Colombe

24 minutes ago, WTF said:

the DOI are asking for him by name.

If that's true, it's a worrying thing given the DOI's current record and somebody needs to be asking precisely why they are so keen to have him.

There needs to be no continuance of the DOI's performance of the past 5 years and that includes appointments that might facilitate it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WTF said:

the DOI are asking for him by name.

Not a great surprise if the current DOI senior management want a minister who they probably consider to be a patsy and who would enable them to live comfortably in their perennial dither rather than actioning fundamental reforms. A sad indictment of our political structure is that far too often the peoples’ elected representatives to the highest office in the land have few skills and abilities besides ‘scooping up litter’.

However, with so many newbies in the HoKs, the second-termers like him might have to step up to the plate and assume national responsibilities – that would be a real test of his mettle. Good luck from me.

Edited by code99
typo

If Rob Callister gets DOI we are all doomed .He just doesnt have the knowledge or ability to be able to grasp whats needed . I'm not sure who has TBH but please god not him. He's been attached to the Dept and failed consistently to speak up on the issues. CoMin needs to be on board, in my opinion ,on mass as the main issue is the total lack of accountibility there so Chief Secretary down needs to know the practices cant go on . Will it happen ? Sadly dont think so .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair every constituency MP in every jurisdiction in the world claims that their constituency is their main priority, even if they only visit once a month and can't make their way around without a local guide (one thinks of Mandelson and Hartlepool). 

Mandelson had fish, chips & mushy peas in a Hartlepool chippy once  and asked for more of the crushed avocado dip.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

DOI needs to be broken down into it's component parts to provide the essential services. The rest needs binning off - horse trams for example. 

He was already on the DOI committee for the promenade and obviously did nothing to hold the CEO and execs to account, make sense why they would want a yes man.

32 minutes ago, cissolt said:

He was already on the DOI committee for the promenade and obviously did nothing to hold the CEO and execs to account, make sense why they would want a yes man.

What power do those committees have? As far as I'm aware they have the power to summon witnesses and ask questions, but they have no power beyond issuing a report? 

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Indeed. And who's going to be paying for his learning curve?

He can't do any worse than Harmer or Baker, He might even turn it around as he likes to conform to public opinion. So he might just be the right person who could bring about change. He needs to pick the right people around him , Peters and Haywood would be my guess as they are new.

Edited by Holte End

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Jane PW would be a good choice for DOI minister and would likely be capable of deconstructing it. 

Why? What skills does she have that makes you think she would be a good DOI minister?

Only asking as I don’t know her and have only seen her in the PAC committee.

The new thing seems to be that JPW would be best at everything - DOI Minister, Chief Minister, tamer of the CS/PS 'Mandarins', you name it

Last week it was Alf Cannan to be the nation's saviour as Chief Minister

Our youngsters - the under 50s - seem to have a passion for these quasi-authoritarian figures of the establishment that quite baffles me