E-gaming is a sector we can be proud of, says Quayle

BallaDoc

It's easy to criticise and feel and even express angst over the economy being dependent on what so many people consider immoral (and may even be right ---) but when it's the only Crap game in town then it's a case of play Craps or starve.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

Not any more than if those hundreds or thousands were employed in other areas.

And yes, I am bonkers.

And all these gaming and IT tech jobs that are constantly advertised, they're being filled by blokes from Andreas or Peel are they, who since leaving school have been able to do nothing but shear a sheep or fish for queenies? Get a grip man. If these companies weren't here we'd be not far away from spuds and herrings again.

2 hours ago, Rog said:

It's easy to criticise and feel and even express angst over the economy being dependent on what so many people consider immoral (and may even be right ---) but when it's the only Crap game in town then it's a case of play Craps or starve.

I  agree, However (and this is also a response to Lxxx, we can have tgat but may be not so much concentration on the one thing. Tech, yes, to a degree, e-gambling, yes to a degree....we should be and are diversifying....possibly e-sports/e-gaming and other avenues. If you think about it, if there was a reduction in e-gambling and an increase in other areas the large swathes of people would go too, which would mean a reduction in people which in turn is not such a bad thing. The amount of money spent by individuals, corporations, Government on shit that we definitely don't need is incredulous. The resourse usurped to produce unwanted crap is finite, why put unnecessary pressure on ourselves. We keep buying new things, the latest thing rather than be content with what we have, or at least slow down the rate of change and maintain it all.

The budgets system for Government Departments is all wrong, it encourages waste, also if there is an overspend by a Department, that Department gets extra money to keep it going without a strategy to combat an overspend the following year....crackers!

On 9/28/2018 at 9:04 AM, P.K. said:

Someone pointed out that "To some people gambling is a disease which makes the IOM a nasty little pool of infection in The Irish Sea...."

How you can have a pool in a sea wasn't explained....

remove the l.....

• 5 months later...

Not looking good on the egaming/e-commerce front, as per headlines from IOMG National  

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/redundancies-at-douglas-based-companies/

on IOMN&P Facebook page there was a story that a well known and established egaming company based in Douglas, has ceased trading, whether its true or not we will find out in due course. 

For the record I’m not gloating, but if I were the Starship Enterprise I would be worried and seeking to ascertain truth from fiction

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47537&headline=In this week's Manx Independent%2C body found in Manx waters&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

From reading IOM Independent it’s 188bet.com that’s ceased trading. I wonder how jobs lost, in addition to the empty office space. Still I’m sure we can concentrate on being a ‘green island’, which will please our Tynpotwalders no end, and also please the element of Tynpotwald who don’t like egaming, due to certain sensitivities. Perhaps the new restaurant in Douglas May care to have Spuds n Herring, Or a turnip dish on their menu. I can only see a vanishing finance sector and a egaming sector disappearing to other jurisdictions. 

42 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I dont think it has ceased traing has it but just pulled out of the UK and Ireland markets

From The Times:

A gambling website blamed steep competition as it shut down its website in the UK and Ireland and halted trading.

188Bet, a former sponsor of Bolton Wanderers FC and the annual Chester Cup horse race, said yesterday that it would “cease to accept bets from customers” with immediate effect. “This action is a commercial decision in a very competitive market,” Annatar, its owner, said.

The bookmaker, which promised to return outstanding funds “in an orderly manner” to users in Britain, Ireland, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar, will continue to trade in other countries. Annatar, which focuses on Asia, said that it was “solvent and fully able to meet all its financial obligations”. Launched in Britain in 2006, 188Bet has said that it will honour bets made on events in the next three months, voiding any on fixtures after June 30.

The closures come amid a period of change for the digital gambling industry in Britain. This month 888 Holdings, the FTSE 250 operator, bought Betbright for £15 million.

The departures of Betbright and 188Bet from the scene will have a minimal impact on the sector as they jointly held a market share of only 3 per cent, analysts said yesterday. Goodbody, the Irish broker, said that their exits highlighted the competitive market.

188Bet had boasted a growing profile in the UK as it launched partnerships with a string of football clubs and sponsored dozens of horse races.

• 6 months later...

Archived