PAC members to recuse themselves from film losses inquiry

gettafa

30 minutes ago, Phillip Dearden said:

Is that not comparing an earlier apple with a later pear?

Perhaps, but we still have a lot of fruit left in the bowl.

Trying to illustrate the positive overall effect the film industry since 1995 has had to treasury. 

Clearly they weren't very good at investing in films directly, which is where the angst is.

Should public money be used to invest in films? 

Should public money be used to try to encourage a new industry with the potential to provide jobs and new stream of economic activity?

Got be better to draw a line under it and move on.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Perhaps, but we still have a lot of fruit left in the bowl.

Trying to illustrate the positive overall effect the film industry since 1995 has had to treasury. 

Clearly they weren't very good at investing in films directly, which is where the angst is.

Should public money be used to invest in films? 

Should public money be used to try to encourage a new industry with the potential to provide jobs and new stream of economic activity?

Got be better to draw a line under it and move on.

Reluctantly I find myself agreeing with you about the move on bit ! I say reluctantly because we have "moved on " and been "where we are" so many repeated times in the past, the only film I could associate with the isle of man would be Groundhog Day !!

Government playing fast and loose with taxpayers money on the island is nothing new and the participants and outcomes being firmly hidden behind Eddies commercially confidential and other "before the FOI" etc etc continue to annoy ! One day we will have to have a "real" enquiry with consequences and until we do I fear we will continue to see taxpayers money poured down the drain !  

48 minutes ago, asitis said:

Reluctantly I find myself agreeing with you about the move on bit ! I say reluctantly because we have "moved on " and been "where we are" so many repeated times in the past, the only film I could associate with the isle of man would be Groundhog Day 

Totally agree.

But really is best to let sleeping dogs lie on this one.

Don't understand what you'd hope to achieve with another enquiry, there's no possible upside and just more mudslinging after the events.

The previous enquiry made lots of recommendations about internal checks and controls and hopefully at least some were implemented to reduce risk of something similar happening.

It's easy to accuse people of wrongdoing with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. It didn't work out, must be someone's fault. 

Lock people up for making bad investment decisions?

Waste of time and more taxpayers money for what? 

It's an investment, may go well, may not. 

Should the island have been investing public money in films? Probably not.

Should they have tried to facilitate the growth of a new industry? Probably.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If it's not investigated and stupid people not identified, those same stupid people move onto making even bigger mistakes getting away with it each time.

The major flaw in your "reasoning" is that you can't prevent them from standing for re-election....

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

The major flaw in your "reasoning" is that you can't prevent them from standing for re-election....

Perhaps but  if the decision has been approved/ promoted by an identified  MHK then the electorate  will be aware, if the decision / recommendation was made by a CS why should that remain a secret and allow them to continue to have power without responsibility ?

3 minutes ago, paswt said:

Perhaps but  if the decision has been approved/ promoted by an identified  MHK then the electorate  will be aware, if the decision / recommendation was made by a CS why should that remain a secret and allow them to continue to have power without responsibility ?

The ultimate responsibility lies with the minister.

Unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The ultimate responsibility lies with the minister.

Unfortunately.

Perhaps but if he/she has been misled/badly advised then would you have a problem with identifying those individuals in order , as Albert posted, that those stupid/corrupt(?) may  be sacked /not be given the same level of credibility in the future ?

4 minutes ago, paswt said:

Perhaps but if he/she has been misled/badly advised then would you have a problem with identifying those individuals in order , as Albert posted, that those stupid/corrupt(?) may  be sacked /not be given the same level of credibility in the future ?

The minister will know who they are and should act accordingly.

Archived