PAC members to recuse themselves from film losses inquiry

gettafa

6 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

It didn`t effect the minister who was involved with the " TT world series", he still got re-elected, did he not ?

Which is the point I made back here:

8 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If it's not investigated and stupid people not identified, those same stupid people move onto making even bigger mistakes getting away with it each time.

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

The major flaw in your "reasoning" is that you can't prevent them from standing for re-election....

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does it always have to be someone's fault? The more blame there is, the more decisions have to be made because more stuff goes to a cross Dept commitee or even to Council of Min to cover arses. Which adds more paper and time to the process.

9 hours ago, ian rush said:

Why does it always have to be someone's fault? The more blame there is, the more decisions have to be made because more stuff goes to a cross Dept commitee or even to Council of Min to cover arses. Which adds more paper and time to the process.

If these "wastes" of money were a one off oversight, accident call it what you will, then I agree we shouldn't be having loss of sleep. On the island however the waste of public money is an epidemic, and like I said earlier it is Groundhog Day, it keeps happening over and over again ! I have seen government told by people who do know, that what they are doing is fanciful in the extreme but they still continue to throw money ( which isn't their property) away ! I could list stuff ad nauseum which smells of scandal, and where rumour is rife, we are saddled with debt now, our frontline services are poor and the cost of living here for the "normal" family is high. All of this stems from "errors" in the use of public money and no one has ever been brought to account or explained how we have come to "where we are". It is for these reasons I cannot agree with you, with public office comes responsibility and accountability and until Government become truly open and accountable we will continue to see poor performance of it and its officials across the board. I am not holding my breath !!

20 hours ago, P.K. said:

The ultimate responsibility lies with the minister.

Unfortunately.

Correct.

Meanwhile, those Cyril's (and former Cyril's) who had a hand in any of it should be called up to provide evidence both written (at the time) and oral. If we're going to have a Spanish Inquisition, then no stone/comfy chair should be left unturned.

I would be particularly interested in hearing what the head(s) of Treasury has to say about it. As the custodian of the public purse did they think it was a wise move to "invest" in an already known high-risk industry? What risk assessment projects were carried out to 'test' the idea? Was he/she not concerned that the nation's (sovereign) wealth fund (reserves) would at risk and that the rainy day pot would no longer be able to support the population in the future?  Of course, all the other CEO's of the departments during the time the film '[industry' was in being should be called as well to hear their side of the story.

It takes two to tango.

11 hours ago, ian rush said:

One of the things I’ve seen time and time again, at all levels, is the inability to reverse out of trouble when it is clearly brewing. With the film gig, it was clear from a very early stage we were backing lemons, but continued to do so. 

That is probably the biggest “lesson to be learned”

I've said this before but here I am saying it again. Stuff like this does keep happening.  Even us dimwits on here we knew we were being sold a turkey with this one.  Same with the bendy buses, flying to the moooooon and numerous other pie in the sky deals.  But every time we are told we know nothing.  I remember Eddie Teare creaming his pants over the film stuff. He was so sure, so certain that he was backing a winner that in the end even I believed him.  Yes, that's how gullible I am, how gullible we all are. I don't know the answer. We keep voting the buggers back in because there isn't an alternative. We need to find an alternative and an alternative will eventually come but there will be a lot more guff like this to wade through before the people finally say enough and start putting together an alternative. But while we're stuck at home watching x factor and drinking beer we're never likely to find an alternative, which I think is all part of the plan.

Excellent post Asitis,

My thoughts are we do have some very smart intelligent people working within our civil service but unfortunately we seem to have many who haven’t got a clue or any business sense whatsoever, mostly nearer to the top due over promotions or the old boys network building mini empires through the years.

My theory is, it all started many many years ago when it was just a plodding job on very average wages the overall skill set wasn’t that brilliant, so do the years go up the ladder (a job for life)  then BANG  vat cash flowing like a river that’s going to burst it’s banks and the governments idiotic approach to spend it like the Beckhams , added with employing more and more within our civil service many on fluffy overpaid made up jobs that we can Ill afford now. Also those who couldn’t quite make the good dollar in the private sector jumped ship to join the govs new cash cow jobs and we unfortunately didn’t get much of the cream to make good coherent business decisions. Also to many of our politicians once elected get that shiny mhk suit on thinking there a lot more intellectual than they actually are, getting wined and dined  listening to to all sorts hare brained schemes nodding politely suggesting they understand when it reality there might as well be playing with Lego blocks in the corner. I think the government should list all its workforce including individual job titles ( what they actually do)  not all lump into sections or groups to let us see where the waste or non jobs are and cut our  cloth accordingly. After all it’s the private sector that’s paying for it extravagance.

6 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Excellent post Asitis,

My thoughts are we do have some very smart intelligent people working within our civil service but unfortunately we seem to have many who haven’t got a clue or any business sense whatsoever, mostly nearer to the top due over promotions or the old boys network building mini empires through the years.

My theory is, it all started many many years ago when it was just a plodding job on very average wages the overall skill set wasn’t that brilliant, so do the years go up the ladder (a job for life)  then BANG  vat cash flowing like a river that’s going to burst it’s banks and the governments idiotic approach to spend it like the Beckhams , added with employing more and more within our civil service many on fluffy overpaid made up jobs that we can Ill afford now. Also those who couldn’t quite make the good dollar in the private sector jumped ship to join the govs new cash cow jobs and we unfortunately didn’t get much of the cream to make good coherent business decisions. Also to many of our politicians once elected get that shiny mhk suit on thinking there a lot more intellectual than they actually are, getting wined and dined  listening to to all sorts hare brained schemes nodding politely suggesting they understand when it reality there might as well be playing with Lego blocks in the corner. I think the government should list all its workforce including individual job titles ( what they actually do)  not all lump into sections or groups to let us see where the waste or non jobs are and cut our  cloth accordingly. After all it’s the private sector that’s paying for it extravagance.

I’ve long been an advocate of a ministry of “what the feck  do you do?” 

7 hours ago, ecobob said:

I've said this before but here I am saying it again. Stuff like this does keep happening.  Even us dimwits on here we knew we were being sold a turkey with this one.  Same with the bendy buses, flying to the moooooon and numerous other pie in the sky deals.  But every time we are told we know nothing.  I remember Eddie Teare creaming his pants over the film stuff. He was so sure, so certain that he was backing a winner that in the end even I believed him.  Yes, that's how gullible I am, how gullible we all are. I don't know the answer. We keep voting the buggers back in because there isn't an alternative. We need to find an alternative and an alternative will eventually come but there will be a lot more guff like this to wade through before the people finally say enough and start putting together an alternative. But while we're stuck at home watching x factor and drinking beer we're never likely to find an alternative, which I think is all part of the plan.

Eddie Teare was an arrogant, thick, over-promoted, Toytown bank manager’s, lad’s, assistant’s, mate...from a farm. Why would anyone believe a word that knobber said?

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ve long been an advocate of a ministry of “what the feck  do you do?” 

They wouldn't dare set it up. It would have years of work ahead of it. But if you  did thin out the Govt numbers, you crash the economy (as we know it, Jim). 

Because they form such a large percentage of it.

36 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They wouldn't dare set it up. It would have years of work ahead of it. But if you  did thin out the Govt numbers, you crash the economy (as we know it, Jim). 

Because they form such a large percentage of it.

we don't have an economy,  we have an uneconomy which is the problem.

Archived