PAC members to recuse themselves from film losses inquiry

gettafa

7 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

You really think the Island lost money over this? 

The Isle of Man at the highest levels (and by that I don't necessarily mean politicians, obviously, as they are just the willing pawns presented to the public) is a scheming cesspit of corruption and high greed. There are people shat on, shafted and conned in such a process.

Provided that the net effect is that the Island overall makes money, then that is ok?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To put it in perspective it's half of how much you could waste on port facilities for cruise liners.

Naturally I'm not factoring in the massive overspend that will inevitably occur due to appalling project management, shallow planning (sorry) and even worse procurement....

19 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The Isle of Man at the highest levels (and by that I don't necessarily mean politicians, obviously, as they are just the willing pawns presented to the public) is a scheming cesspit of corruption and high greed. There are people shat on, shafted and conned in such a process.

Provided that the net effect is that the Island overall makes money, then that is ok?

And we publicly laud and revere those doing the shitting, shafting and conning in many cases. Laws are bent to accommodate and photo and selfie opportunities taken by those we put into office.

£26M of Public Money has gone walkies. In light of the cuts now being inflicted and impacting most on the lower ends of our society I, for one, would like an inkling of where it's gone.

Personally I don't care how much we "might" have made through this process, because NOBODY has yet produced figures to back it up, with the possible exception of the share sales. It was all "intangible and unquantifiable". Not to mention "commercially confidential". If not bare-faced lies.

Not good enough. Time there was some accountability, both in terms of figures and responsibility. And with a bit of luck it might stick and spread.

7 hours ago, asitis said:

I agree about an external investigation Derek, however ,there is too much under stones for those involved to want it to see the light of day ! It will be a whitewash in the end we all know it so why not save the money and just say "nothing to see here" !  

But you have to remember the outside world is looking on ( "washing your dirty laundry in public" i think is the phrase ), an enquiry might just cause us more problems than we need, with the film industry / vat re-adjustment.

1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

Shh…

£290-£26= £264

What an odd equation to make. (link is for FT subscribers only btw)

Why not say...I dunno...Hitler didn't kill any Jews really because there were lots, lots more born after the war that easily makes up for it.

40 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

But you have to remember the outside world is looking on ( "washing your dirty laundry in public" i think is the phrase ), an enquiry might just cause us more problems than we need, with the film industry / vat re-adjustment.

But that works both ways.  Because refusing to have an enquiry when so much money has been lost, also looks suspicious.  Maybe even more so, because few will be able to understand complicated financial transactions, but anyone can draw conclusions from the spectacle of a cover up.  And it also suggests that there may be even more scandals going on and being hidden - otherwise why would current politicians be so keen to keep things quiet?

Despite this, the reaction of far too many on the Island to any hint of dodgy goings-on, is still to run around shouting "Nothing to see here!  Go away!!" and to accuse anyone pointing to problems as having a lack of patriotism.  Which, apart from anything else, isn't exactly the best way of diverting attention.

54 minutes ago, gettafa said:

What an odd equation to make. (link is for FT subscribers only btw)

Why not say...I dunno...Hitler didn't kill any Jews really because there were lots, lots more born after the war that easily makes up for it.

How odd to compare genocide with IOM Government revenue.

sorry for bad link - but relevant extract from the Nov2012 FT article..

"According to a report by Oxford Economics, the consultancy commissioned by the government, the film industry brought £81m in benefits and created 2,140 full-time equivalent job years.The government has invested £170m (in 2011 prices), which has generated £85m from producers through the equity share of revenues and £375m from additional tax revenues.However, changes to value-added tax rules that put an end to the island keeping the VAT earned on cinema screenings in the UK have hit the industry hard."

3 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

sorry for bad link - but relevant extract from the Nov2012 FT article..

"According to a report by Oxford Economics, the consultancy commissioned by the government, the film industry brought £81m in benefits and created 2,140 full-time equivalent job years.The government has invested £170m (in 2011 prices), which has generated £85m from producers through the equity share of revenues and £375m from additional tax revenues.However, changes to value-added tax rules that put an end to the island keeping the VAT earned on cinema screenings in the UK have hit the industry hard."

Yeah...and if my Aunty had nuts, she'd be called my Uncle.

2 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Yes the VAT re adjustment where does that fit in b4mbi figures ? and more to the point why !!

I agree re washing dirt laundry sadly but thats why it keeps happening !!!

2 hours ago, b4mbi said:

It is odd, but no odder than suggesting that it is ok to dubiously 'lose' money if the net result from a certain perspective means that even more money was gained, but not apparently dubiously.

And I just thought I'd introduce a bit of Godwin's law, kill two birds with one stone type of thing.

1. Theyve got no choice but to recuse if they want to PAC it.

2. The TT 'costs' DED/DfE every year and its sold as ok cos it does economic good elsewhere (and lets leave aside the guaranteed deaths). If thats so whats the big fucking deal with 26m over a number of years and it being a bit of a VAT sharing cuteness in comparison?

3. If im right on my VAT cuteness is a backbench desire for headlines risking a lot?

Archived