The 'Trans' Issue.

quilp

18 minutes ago, quilp said:

I think like the others on here you didn't read the link to the Brighton and Hove model and its intentions. Parents who fail to comply face being relieved of their oversight by social services and police. If this is the direction things are heading the ideology must be vigorously opposed. 

I read some of the links, but I admit not all of them. If you could re-post to save me trawling the entire thread I will. 

• Like 1

I think the Telegraph headline is sensationalist. The body of the article makes it sound like much more than saying “you can’t wear  a skirt”. It needs to be a cause of “significant concern about the child’s wellbeing and or safety”. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, quilp said:

The comments section is in general outrage over the proposal...

The comments section under every story at The Telegraph is outraged. The Telegraph is for angry kippers these days. Posh people are no longer the readership.

The Telegraph today seems written to create comment outrage. It's surely about traffic which they can sell to advertisers. That why so many of their sub headings pose questions  - and why so many of the articles are deliberately provocative or pose simplistic either / or scenarios. They got rid of some of the staff writers and correspondents over the past few years. I'm guessing it's increasingly written by freelancers paid a bonus for clicks.

Edited by pongo

1 hour ago, pongo said:

The comments section under every story at The Telegraph is outraged. The Telegraph is for angry kippers these days. Posh people are no longer the readership.

The Telegraph today seems written to create comment outrage. It's surely about traffic which they can sell to advertisers. That why so many of their sub headings pose questions  - and why so many of the articles are deliberately provocative or pose simplistic either / or scenarios. They got rid of some of the staff writers and correspondents over the past few years. I'm guessing it's increasingly written by freelancers paid a bonus for clicks.

Good analysis. I read the Telegraph for years; not because I’m Tory, or even right of centre, I’m neither, but simply because it was a thoughtful, well-informed, well written newspaper. No longer; it’s trashy, trouble-making, pseudo-Trump rubbish.

14 hours ago, quilp said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/10/04/parents-wont-let-son-wear-skirt-may-have-referred-social-services/

Loss of authority over ones own kids. The comments section is in general outrage over the proposal...

I read that one. Like others have said it does seem to be over-sensationalised. They’re presenting the ‘militant trans’ view as if it’s chapter and verse on the matter, when the reality will likely be more balanced, along the lines of what I posted earlier. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Declan said:

But if the deliverer is unreliable and the news sensationalised and exaggerated then how do you know the news is bad?

If parents are castigated for not letting their male child wear a skirt, then it does not matter who reports this in the press. It is wrong to have a go at the parents in the first place.

The world is getting more insane by the day.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

If parents are castigated for not letting their male child wear a skirt, then it does not matter who reports this in the press. It is wrong to have a go at the parents in the first place.

The world is getting more insane by the day.

But the reason we’re questioning the reporting is because it provides no evidence that is happening.

You’ve got your knickers (or gender appropriate garment) in a twist because of the headline however even that says parents “may be” reported. But the body of the article says they’d only be reported if there was significant concern about the child’s safety as welfare. 

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

But the reason we’re questioning the reporting is because it provides no evidence that is happening.

You’ve got your knickers (or gender appropriate garment) in a twist because of the headline however even that says parents “may be” reported. But the body of the article says they’d only be reported if there was significant concern about the child’s safety as welfare. 

So as long as the confused child is feeling safe he can be a she? Is that what you mean ?