Freebies!

Boo Gay'n

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though he seems to have omitted his trip to Armenia earlier in the month.  It's all go in the wig-wearing world.

A lot of these jollies are nominally funded by international bodies such as the CPA, but you wonder how much the extras cost and whether the 'minders' they always seem to need have to paid for by the Manx taxpayer.

But those bodies are funded by member contributions Rog.  Hidden somewhere in the government accounts there will be a flow of money to the CPA and maybe other organisations too.  I would bet that travel and subsistence for the trips come straight out of the IOMG current account.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Though he seems to have omitted his trip to Armenia earlier in the month.  It's all go in the wig-wearing world.

A lot of these jollies are nominally funded by international bodies such as the CPA, but you wonder how much the extras cost and whether the 'minders' they always seem to need have to paid for by the Manx taxpayer.

Another expense claim for suntan cream and headache tablets perhaps :angry:

This morning on the radio  Minister Boot said the cost was £200-250 per person.  I wish I could arrange flights to,  accommodation and meals in the Channel Islands for that price. 

5 hours ago, quilp said:

Baron Boot says that the cost of going to Jersey with nine others was "modest" yet failing to actually say how much it cost the tax-payer, or what, in detail, was gleaned from the trip.

He said 'roughly about £250 per head'

So I suppose you could about double that to get a truish figure

42 minutes ago, Cypman said:

This morning on the radio  Minister Boot said the cost was £200-250 per person.  I wish I could arrange flights to,  accommodation and meals in the Channel Islands for that price. 

Unless that was the IoM contribution per head and the rest came from elsewhere? Or maybe they just dipped into the slush fund.

Well let’s have Mr Butt or Johnny Moss ask them for a holiday report individually  in what they actually think they achieved by this Jersey trip 

no spin just hard facts please in what they got out of it maybe us peasants are missing something, reminds me of a Depeche  Mode song Enjoy the silence.

17 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Well let’s have Mr Butt or Johnny Moss ask them for a holiday report individually  in what they actually think they achieved by this Jersey trip 

no spin just hard facts please in what they got out of it maybe us peasants are missing something, reminds me of a Depeche  Mode song Enjoy the silence.

Freedom of Information request?

2 hours ago, Cypman said:

So ((£200 - £250 per person per day)  x (no of freeloaders + hangers on) x (length of stay)) + ((no of freeloaders + hangers on) x (travel costs)) =

a complete and utter waste of time and (other people's) money.....

Boot is very confident that this trip had benefits. Well, apart from any G&T and nice steak that he benefitted from, let’s have a comprehensive, clear and unambiguous report of the way in which the residents of the Island have benefitted that demonstrates advantages that we now have, that didn’t exist when they boarded the ‘plane on the way out.

6 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

But those bodies are funded by member contributions Rog.  Hidden somewhere in the government accounts there will be a flow of money to the CPA and maybe other organisations too.  I would bet that travel and subsistence for the trips come straight out of the IOMG current account.

I'm not really sure if Commonwealth governments can opt out of things like the CPA and its subs, so I suspect there's a sort of mindset that we ought to send as many people as possible on these shindigs, so as to get 'our moneys worth'.  Subs are probably related to size, so it may mean that smaller jurisdictions do well out of it.

But it's all those extras that add to the bill that need watching.  There have been various keys questions on this sort of thing in the past (and maybe some FoIs) so it would be interesting to dig out what is already known.  The main question  however is simply what if anything the Island gets out of these trips that couldn't be learnt from an hour on the internet or even reading a few documents.  You also wonder how much prep members of Tynwald do so they could actually ask the right questions when they go, rather than swan around on the usual organised tour, being fed the usual bullshit in a slightly different accent.

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Boot is very confident that this trip had benefits. Well, apart from any G&T and nice steak that he benefitted from, let’s have a comprehensive, clear and unambiguous report of the way in which the residents of the Island have benefitted that demonstrates advantages that we now have, that didn’t exist when they boarded the ‘plane on the way out.

I believe in Goblins too. The evil ones run the EU don'tcha know....

Time all this nonsense was stopped for good.

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not really sure if Commonwealth governments can opt out of things like the CPA and its subs, so I suspect there's a sort of mindset that we ought to send as many people as possible on these shindigs, so as to get 'our moneys worth'.  Subs are probably related to size, so it may mean that smaller jurisdictions do well out of it.

But it's all those extras that add to the bill that need watching.  There have been various keys questions on this sort of thing in the past (and maybe some FoIs) so it would be interesting to dig out what is already known.  The main question  however is simply what if anything the Island gets out of these trips that couldn't be learnt from an hour on the internet or even reading a few documents.  You also wonder how much prep members of Tynwald do so they could actually ask the right questions when they go, rather than swan around on the usual organised tour, being fed the usual bullshit in a slightly different accent.

This cannot surely be my favourite Roger Mexico in the wrong?

IOM is not a member of the Commonwealth and isn't an ordinary member of the CPA

Tubby Quayle boasted about a special membership without mentioning that this is a paid (by us) membership form that allows obscure bodies to market/promote themselves to the genuine membership

Archived